TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
mrwhitefolks

traffic encrypted?

Rate this question

Question

mrwhitefolks

Is the data encrypted when connected to one of the socks5 proxies? I'm just curious how the data is hidden?

Is it the same for just the http Web proxy?

10 answers to this question

Support

Hello - the socks5/web proxys basically mask your IP, they don't encrypt your traffic.

Regards

mrwhitefolks

So an isp could still what data is being sent between my computer and the proxy?

Support

Well the proxy masks your IP, no traffic actually passes through your ISP, only the proxy so they still don't know what your downloading.

Regards

Neutrino

"no traffic actually passes through your ISP"

This is a joke right? Traffic magically reaches us without passing through our ISPs now?

The poster had an important question relevant to us all, which you have addressed very poorly and inadequately. You should be aware that ISPs use Deep Packet Inspection on all their traffic to detect and throttle torrent protocols. In my ISP's case they are known for sending RST packets to terminate torrent connections.

So you need to clearly inform your customers what risks they face when using your torrent proxies, instead of giving them a false sense of security with blatantly false statements like the one above. A mere proxy hides you from your peers. Not from your ISP, who can see ALL the traffic that reaches your house.

This also illustrates the confusing nature of your service offerings in regards to torrents : VPN vs Torrent proxy. If your VPN service encrypts the entire data stream, meaning the ISP can clearly not inspect the

packets or the nature of the data going through their networks, AND your VPN service allows torrents, then :

Why does your torrent proxy service even exist?

Please explain clearly why anyone should subscribe to your torrent proxy service instead of the deeper protection from the VPN. If we are exposed when using the proxy service, I would ask you to change my proxy service to a VPN instead.

-------

And this isn't all. Your Torrent proxy product page shows that a VPN trial is included with the yearly proxy plan, but there is no further information on how to activate it anywhere on your website. Please provide a support link/FAQ/KNowledgebase that clearly explains this and the above questions.

for the sake of argument. I was not going to get proxy service when i was shopping here. the only reason i got it, is because it was a deal. since i was already going to drop nearly $60 for a year of the vpn I figured to grab the proxy as well. granted I knew the difference already.

mrwhitefolks

Thnbks for the reply neutrino. I didnt really care if the traffic was encrypted but just how can the ISP NOT see what youre downloading? I didnt catch it before when he said traffic doesnt pass thru the ISP.

From what I gather, we're not truly hidden with the torrent service. Although I have been able to get around web filters. Im just not too confident with torrents. Ill probably be switching to the vpn service once a deal comes around.

You need to use OpenVPN or the VPN Pro OR VPN Lite software from TorGuard to encrypt your traffic, or use the OpenVPN scripts from TG in your DDWRT router...in either case, you should use your firewall(s) to route all p2p traffic through the VPN software. As this thread indicates, do not allow your torrent client to handle proxies; this will only mask your IP. If you are routing and encrypting your traffic in this way, from what I understand, your ISP is only able to see that you are sending/receiving encrypted p2p data to the TG servers. You are not directly connecting to other peers by using TG as a middleman, which would logically appear as the recipient/seeder for IP data trackers. This may not satisfy all ISP issues, but it will stop your ISP from receiving cease and desist notices because you downloaded infringing material. Many ISPs do not monitor or limit p2p traffic unless/until it is brought to their attention by these legal threats because many simply do not have the resources or desire to monitor this traffic to prevent 'intellectual property theft'. Summarily, the biggest threat is usually not the ISP and what they can see, but the p2p network you are soliciting data from and what they can see.

Support
Thnbks for the reply neutrino. I didnt really care if the traffic was encrypted but just how can the ISP NOT see what youre downloading? I didnt catch it before when he said traffic doesnt pass thru the ISP.

From what I gather, we're not truly hidden with the torrent service. Although I have been able to get around web filters. Im just not too confident with torrents. Ill probably be switching to the vpn service once a deal comes around.

Hey vanillagorilla

When using a VPN, all your traffic is encrypted the minute you connect, your ISP cannot see whats passing through your VPN tunnel due to the encryption, all they can see is you connecting to an IP address to put it simply.

With our socks5 proxy, the data passes through the proxy only, it doesn’t really reach you so they don't see this data..

Regards

JustCuz81

So my question is, If I'm using the Torrent Proxy, can someone see where the torrent I'm downloading is going to? From what I understand the torrent data being downloaded by a user using torrent proxy is being sent to TG proxy's and the user's actual IP never shows up. Right or wrong?

Support

Hi Joshua

Peers will only see the proxy IP, that’s where they are sending the data too.

Regards