TorGuard

SMTP blocked by my ISP

Rate this question

murphy6761

Question

murphy6761

Having a heck of a time sending emails while connected to VPN. 

My ISP is optonline, but my AOL email does the same thing lately

I have tried using port 587, no joy - this was my initial setting to send email from any location

Used port 465 with SSL, no joy

I am trying each location with torguard, some give the first error below, some give the second error below. 

Tech support here is not being very helpful, but in reality my isp seems to have blocked each and every server that torguard uses. 

Anyone elso have the same issue these days?

error messages:
Task '[email protected] - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

And/Or:
Task '[email protected] - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC78) : 'Cannot send the message. Verify the e-mail address in your account properties.  The server responded: 550 5.7.1 Unable to accept email from your location (IP 23.226.129.10) at this time. Please try again later. error code 83'

3 answers to this question

murphy6761

Fixed it by adding a static route via the command prompt.

I found the ip address of my isp mailserver and added this as a persistent route:

route add -p [ip address of mail server] [net mask-you probably don't need this] [your gateway]

worked like a charm.  My ISP refused to help me with this issue, pretending that they don't block anything all the time that they do.  If they would just have been honest it would have saved me a bunch of nonsense.

I don't care if my email goes thru the VPN or not, it's email, they already know who I am!

kurisu

That sounds like you're not authenticating on outbound SMTP connections, so Optonline is (correctly) denying unauthenticated relaying from outside of their own network. Basic anti-spam measure for people whose infected computers get dragged into a spam botnet. Doublecheck that your mail client is authenticating on outbound mail as well as incoming. (What client are you using?) 

murphy6761

using Outlook 2016

I can authenticate outside of their network, via port 586 and TLS

They seem to be blocking all the ip addresses associated with torguard.