TorGuard
SAmB

Torguard v3.98 Arch Linux Client error

Rate this question

Question

SAmB

When I attempt to connect to a server I get the error message "ERROR: Cannot ioctl TUNSETIFF tun: Operation not permitted (errno=1)"  I uploaded a picture for your review. Please advise Thanks

tor.png

15 answers to this question

Support

Try using sudo and start from the command line - let me know if that helps.

haseeb

[placeholder]

Edited by haseeb
I figured it out.

hippychix

Can you explain how to fix this issue? I do not want to enter sudo every time I launch Torguard. It worked fine before I upgraded.

thanx.

Geeker

Hi hippychix,

Did you ever solve your problem?

haseeb
On 5/5/2020 at 1:03 AM, hippychix said:

Can you explain how to fix this issue? I do not want to enter sudo every time I launch Torguard. It worked fine before I upgraded.

thanx.

Unfortunately, the only thing I could do was the sudo way. Could not find another way. Do you think Torguard engineers can help with this?

haseeb
On 4/23/2020 at 2:47 PM, Support said:

Try using sudo and start from the command line - let me know if that helps.

Sudo does help. Can you please see if there's an easier way than having to use the command line every time one launches Torguard? Kind of frustrating. Maybe your engineers could tweak it so that Torguard asks for admin password on a normal launch and then it works.

Geeker
1 minute ago, haseeb said:

Unfortunately, the only thing I could do was the sudo way. Could not find another way. Do you think Torguard engineers can help with this?

Mind explaining how you installed it? And could you give more details as to what OS distribution, kernel etc.

I am running the latest Torguard client on Manjaro 20.0.1 (GNOME 3.36.2) with kernel 5.4.39 and whenever I run it, it will run in su mode automatically.

haseeb
Just now, Geeker said:

Mind explaining how you installed it? And could you give more details as to what OS distribution, kernel etc.

I am running the latest Torguard client on Manjaro 20.0.1 (GNOME 3.36.2) with kernel 5.4.39 and whenever I run it, it will run in su mode automatically.

I'm also running the latest Manjaro but with KDE and kernel 5.6

haseeb
Just now, haseeb said:

I'm also running the latest Manjaro but with KDE and kernel 5.6

Maybe it is a KDE thing and not a Manjaro thing? What do you think?

Geeker
Just now, haseeb said:

Maybe it is a KDE thing and not a Manjaro thing? What do you think?

Could you tell me how you install it?

haseeb
16 minutes ago, Geeker said:

Could you tell me how you install it?

I got it from the AUR repo on Add/Remove Software

Geeker
2 minutes ago, haseeb said:

I got it from the AUR repo on Add/Remove Software

I'd suggest you to remove that as there are other users that are complaining about it too. I am using the official package from them. Here's what I did:

1. Download the Arch Linux file.
  2. Extract it.
  3. Open a terminal in the folder that you've extracted.
  4. Run "makepkg"
  5. Then "sudo pacman -U torguard-3.98.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz" -- change the file to follow what you have.
  6. Everything should work now.

Try it and get back if it works or not.

haseeb
13 minutes ago, Geeker said:

I'd suggest you to remove that as there are other users that are complaining about it too. I am using the official package from them. Here's what I did:

1. Download the Arch Linux file.
  2. Extract it.
  3. Open a terminal in the folder that you've extracted.
  4. Run "makepkg"
  5. Then "sudo pacman -U torguard-3.98.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz" -- change the file to follow what you have.
  6. Everything should work now.

Try it and get back if it works or not.

Thanks so much! This works and connects flawlessly. Will it self-update every time or will I have to repeat this process for each update to the app?

Geeker
Just now, haseeb said:

Thanks so much! This works and connects flawlessly. Will it self-update every time or will I have to repeat this process for each update to the app?

Glad it works for you. You will have to manually do all that when there's an update unfortunately. The client will tell you when there's an update available. I will try to contact the person behind the AUR package and see if I could help as I didn't know there was one to begin with. 😅

Try to check every so often on this page for any updates on the AUR package. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/torguard/

haseeb
42 minutes ago, Geeker said:

Glad it works for you. You will have to manually do all that when there's an update unfortunately. The client will tell you when there's an update available. I will try to contact the person behind the AUR package and see if I could help as I didn't know there was one to begin with. 😅

Try to check every so often on this page for any updates on the AUR package. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/torguard/

Thank you for your help. Let me know if you need anything not too technical as I'm a noob.