TorGuard

Internet speed

Rate this question

fox

Question

2 answers to this question

Speed is really depend on how close you are to the server and the server load imo.

You can also try to change the change the Cipher and test the speed to see if there is any improvement.

I have 80 Mbps and I can get 60-65 Mbps on some servers (Singapore, Hong Kong, JP and US). I got very slow speed with my dedicated UK IP address though (shared IP is working fine ~58 Mbps)

This will largely be a limitation of your ISP's routing and backhaul capacity. I have gigabit symmetric fibre, and on OpenVPN with the least intensive ciphers (AES-128-CBC / GCM) I can never get more than 350 or 400 mbit/sec to any TorGuard server in my country. Often it's around 100-150. This is also the case with other providers I've tried.

I've realised that my ISP has quite contended links to the wider Internet, plus the added detrimental effects of latency on the link results in varying throughput. As broadband links get faster, they fall into the category of Long Fat Networks - high bandwidth but high latency. It's the varying latency and potential for packet loss which kills headline speed.

OpenVPN in its default configuration is also not the most efficient protocol. Added Try a Wireguard connection (see the user control panel to activate Wireguard on a server then set it up on your PC following the instructions), you'll probably notice a decent speed increase.