TorGuard
anonymous777

no internet connection although connected to Torguard

Rate this question

Question

anonymous777

Hello,

I havent had this issue before but now im using a new laptop.

I log in to Torguard and want to browse the web but i dont have internet connection although Torguard says "connected".

I already tried to:

1 click on more settings, the network tab and deactivate block outside DNS.
2 in that same tab, at application start:

none,

while establishing VPN connection: none

when VPN is connected: Cloudflare

3 I already used the flush DNS command because Im using Windows 10.

still I have not been able to connect to the internet although Im "connected" on Torguard.

Please let me know what else can I do to browse the web with the program.

Thank you for your help.

9 answers to this question

kurisu
On 2/29/2020 at 11:51 AM, anonymous777 said:

Hello,

I havent had this issue before but now im using a new laptop.

I log in to Torguard and want to browse the web but i dont have internet connection although Torguard says "connected".

I already tried to:

1 click on more settings, the network tab and deactivate block outside DNS.
2 in that same tab, at application start:

none,

while establishing VPN connection: none

when VPN is connected: Cloudflare

3 I already used the flush DNS command because Im using Windows 10.

still I have not been able to connect to the internet although Im "connected" on Torguard.

Please let me know what else can I do to browse the web with the program.

Thank you for your help.

Unless you have good reason to do otherwise, use Cloudflare while establishing VPN connection, and use Pushed DNS when VPN is connected. 

With your current configuration, once the VPN is active, can you ping any common DNS services? 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9 etc. If those resolve, can you ping any domain names? (e.g. google.com, bbc.com, disney.com) - if those don't work, you're suffering from lack of DNS resolution, and I would set Torguard client to use Pushed DNS while connected.

anonymous777

Hi,

with the first configuration, it didnt have access. Not even to google.com, bbc.com or disney.com

With the recommended configuration you just said, I have access to youtube. but cannot watch videos, they just keep loading. To other websites like google.com or the other ones, I dont have access

kurisu

Can you even ping the sites? Try pinging a bunch of domains you don't regularly go to (yahoo.com, ask.com, europa.eu are some good starters) from a command prompt and see if those return IP addresses and show ping responses. If you get pings back, but still have connectivity issues, Try using a second browser (I keep a clean Firefox Portable around for this purpose) or run your browser in Incognito mode to avoid any possible caching issues.

A traceroute to a site should also work and show you going via the private network ranges for Torguard until you hit the Internet. If all that's working, I'm inclined to think your VPN connection is fine and it's something else.

Have you checked to make sure your PC does not have manually configured DNS IP addresses on your network adapter? 

anonymous777

Hi,

i cannot ping any website when im using torguard or a second browser.

i do not know what you mean with a traceroute to a site.

and yes ive checked the dns ip configuration, it was automatic, i modified it to manual with 1.1.1.1 and then to automatic again, because in both attempts the command prompt couldnt ping any website

kurisu

Please Google "how to run traceroute on Windows" (or Mac if you're on a Mac!)

When you say you can't ping any site, can you ping IP addresses like 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8? (common public DNS services)

Running a traceroute is not difficult to do and it's sometimes useful to diagnose whether traffic is leaving your network correctly, and whether DNS is working or not. If you can do successful traceroute to an IP address but not a domain name, often that's indicative of an inability to resolve domain names to IP addresses.

If you've not done so already, try running the Torguard installer and choose the option during setup to reinstall the current version of its virtual network adapter. That can sometimes solve issues where the adapter's own configuration has been partly broken for whatever reason. 

balexter

hey all,

had a similar issue the last 2 days with a config not changed for month.

When I uncheck "block outside DNS" everything seems to work fine.

anonymous777

Hi Kurisu, Hi balexter,

I googled how to traceroute on windows. When using torguard and trying to ping de 1.1.1.1, I receive "general error". When using torguard and trying to ping a website, I also receive general error.

When using torguard and traceroute, I receive "general error" in both situations too. With any website.
I didnt had the "block outside DNS" option checked... I dont have it checked either.

I uninstalled and reinstalled it too, same behaviour remains.

conpaul

On 3/23/2020 at 9:55 AM, anonymous777 said:

Hi Kurisu, Hi balexter,

I googled how to traceroute on windows. When using torguard and trying to ping de 1.1.1.1, I receive "general error". When using torguard and trying to ping a website, I also receive general error.

When using torguard and traceroute, I receive "general error" in both situations too. With any website.
I didnt had the "block outside DNS" option checked... I dont have it checked either.

I uninstalled and reinstalled it too, same behaviour remains.
On the main client page click on more settings

then select network and you can configure dns settings etc. I have used cloudfare and quad 9 with no problems 

I have used 

On 3/23/2020 at 9:55 AM, anonymous777 said:

image.png

anonymous777

hello conpaul. just tried that too, doesnt work