TorGuard

How are you getting above 200?

Rate this topic

chumleyex

I'm trying to figure out the right method to get the most speed out of this VPN connection. I've got several setups and none of them get over 170up/dn. I have gigabit internet through at&t and the server I connect to isn't very far from me.   How are you guys getting 400?

Pfsense openvpn tunnel with IP forwarded to a VM - This gets around 170 down and sometimes 0 up. It's also very unstable, but this would be my preferred method.

image.png.c17aa8fdc24e11f2d1bb5699ef6e8586.png

Windows 10 vm running on a R710, 2 cpu's with 4 cores each (xeons through ESXI), connecting through windows VPN or Torguard app.

image.png.9d502180d68bf28f846bef6032ce48d6.png

Lastly I installed the torguard vpn app on my Ryzen 1700x desktop, it just about hits 200. 

image.png.179bc2fe9e54360f985047bdb4bfa528.png

• 1 month later...

I'm not an expert, but OpenVPN is single-threaded, so to get the highest speed possible you simply need a device with a high single core clock speed. My 9900k gets me around 300 Mbit/s iirc. I don't know if that is limited by the cpu or the TG server. 

Alternatively if your use case supports it, you could switch to IPSec for higher speeds. 

NO ONE gets > than 250Mbps with OpenVPN, it is impossible so don't believe them. I use a router with "hardware acceleration" (AES-NI hardware support) technology and this will increase my OpenVPN speeds to approx 250Mbps measured from my SE Asia location to a west coast USA vpn server; without hardware acceleration router, my speeds to the same server(s) are MUCH less, dropping from 250Mbps to 50 or 60Mbps. 

With IKEv2 protocol I routinely achieve speeds up to 450Mbps to servers worldwide from my location. MY ISP pkg is 500/300 fiber service in SE Asia.

You may want to upgrade your router that has a proper cpu and hardware acceleration and also switch to IKEv2 protocol.

Also, if your pfsense appliance's CPU does not have AES-NI hardware support, the overhead from OpenVPN will definately impact your speeds while connected to the vpn tunnel.