TorGuard
Somebody

Asking for help setting up Win10 server for torrenting

Rate this question

Question

Somebody

Greetings,

I am sure this has been asked and answered multiple times, but I wasn't able to quickly find my answers (not spending 10 hours sifting through pages and pages of pseudo related content).

I am new to the VPN scene. I bought a small i5 6 core machine to use as a dedicated torrent box.  I was initially going to set it up and use it as a VPN server dishing out DHCP to the rest of my network and also to 'turn on' VPN protection for the network with a few clicks of a button, but I don't think I have a real need for that.

I downloaded 'torguard' app and I am running that.  I did a speed test and I am getting about 25% of my regular ISP speeds through a speed test and it failed during the upload process.  My regular ISP speeds are 100Mbps and a lightning fast 5Mbps (end sarcasm) upload.

Do I need to purchase a dedicated IP to achieve close to my regular ISP speeds?  I did see a few threads about persons not getting the speeds with their dedicated IP and a few users suggested that they make some checks and use google in the network settings..... but I think those users were using their router as a VPN device.  I was looking in the TorGuard app but I don't see where to change any of those settings.  Then I thought about changing them in the virtual network adapter properties but then wasn't sure if that would hinder me even more.

Could someone be so kind as to give me a little guidance or at least link to a thread that answers my questions?

Thanks

3 answers to this question

molitar

For torrent don't use VPN it's too much for torrenting. Use a Socks5 Proxy for Torrenting.

Support
On 2/20/2020 at 3:37 AM, Somebody said:

Greetings,

I am sure this has been asked and answered multiple times, but I wasn't able to quickly find my answers (not spending 10 hours sifting through pages and pages of pseudo related content).

I am new to the VPN scene. I bought a small i5 6 core machine to use as a dedicated torrent box.  I was initially going to set it up and use it as a VPN server dishing out DHCP to the rest of my network and also to 'turn on' VPN protection for the network with a few clicks of a button, but I don't think I have a real need for that.

I downloaded 'torguard' app and I am running that.  I did a speed test and I am getting about 25% of my regular ISP speeds through a speed test and it failed during the upload process.  My regular ISP speeds are 100Mbps and a lightning fast 5Mbps (end sarcasm) upload.

Do I need to purchase a dedicated IP to achieve close to my regular ISP speeds?  I did see a few threads about persons not getting the speeds with their dedicated IP and a few users suggested that they make some checks and use google in the network settings..... but I think those users were using their router as a VPN device.  I was looking in the TorGuard app but I don't see where to change any of those settings.  Then I thought about changing them in the virtual network adapter properties but then wasn't sure if that would hinder me even more.

Could someone be so kind as to give me a little guidance or at least link to a thread that answers my questions?

Thanks

To get the best performance while torrenting using a VPN use TCP on a port such as 80 or 443.

kurisu

To torrent properly and be connectable (which is why your upload test failed), you'll need to set up a port forward through Torguard; otherwise it's like being behind a router with strict NAT.

You can 'request' port forwards via the user control panel, you get an email confirming the settings you need to use. Read the email carefully as your client settings must not differ in any way from the ones in the confirmation email.

You may have to do some speed tests to multiple servers to find one which is best for you (your traffic routing to various DCs will yield different results).

Torguard uses round-robin DNS with a 50 second TTL to force your client to connect somewhat randomly to one of the available for a given region. Make a note of the IP address when you connect if you get good speeds. Run a single thread speedtest.net test to give you fairly representative up and download speeds.

You can disconnect and reconnect numerous times in the TG client to get a new VPN server. A quicker way may be to use https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#A/ and enter the domain for the region you want to connect to. (click the "A" button or hit enter to resubmit the form). You'll see numerous results, each one being the IP of a specific VPN server for that region. You'll also notice there are some blocks of IPs, those are likely in the same datacentre, so try picking a few from each distinct group of IP addresses to save time.

Example dig output: (the list is far longer than in the screenshot)

image.png.783c291674c20f528ad9f985eccf6211.png

When I torrent via TG, I use a predefined port forward and I use the least CPU intensive cipher - AES-128-CBC - on UDP port 1912 with SHA256.

With OpenVPN, sometimes using TCP instead of UDP to connect can resolve some MTU fragmentation issues, due to some protocol workaround 'magic', but you can still lose some speed.

If port forwarding isn't as important to you, and you just want to leech, and rely on DHT or PEX for seeding, the Wireguard protocol generally gives far more speed. Enable yourself a Wireguard connection via the user control panel and set the client up on your PC following the instructions. It's still a bit 'beta' compared to OpenVPN but I swear by Wireguard on Android.