TorGuard
chumleyex

Super slow pfsense

Rate this question

Question

chumleyex

I run pfsense on a ASRock J3355B-ITX Intel Dual-Core Processor J3355 and it's connected to at&t fiber. Without going over vpn I get around 800mb down and 900mb up. I have openvpn tunneling out to torguard and the max I can get is well under 200mb down and most of the time a speed test shows 0 for upload. My example today has an upload speed though. I would love to see 400+ up/down and a stable connection. This is far from stable. There are many times I got to pull something up from the internet and the page isn't displayed for a very long time. 

Any ideas on how to help?

While running the speed tests I check the cpu of the pfsense box and it's chilling at 25%, so it's not stressed out. The VM I run the speed test on has plenty of horse power too. Here are my configs.

persist-key
persist-tun
remote-cert-tls server
reneg-sec 0
auth-retry interact
verb 1
fast-io
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288

image.png.7730b3206076ae20c1a5fdb3f53aa62e.png

3 answers to this question

Support
20 hours ago, chumleyex said:

I run pfsense on a ASRock J3355B-ITX Intel Dual-Core Processor J3355 and it's connected to at&t fiber. Without going over vpn I get around 800mb down and 900mb up. I have openvpn tunneling out to torguard and the max I can get is well under 200mb down and most of the time a speed test shows 0 for upload. My example today has an upload speed though. I would love to see 400+ up/down and a stable connection. This is far from stable. There are many times I got to pull something up from the internet and the page isn't displayed for a very long time. 

Any ideas on how to help?

While running the speed tests I check the cpu of the pfsense box and it's chilling at 25%, so it's not stressed out. The VM I run the speed test on has plenty of horse power too. Here are my configs.

persist-key
persist-tun
remote-cert-tls server
reneg-sec 0
auth-retry interact
verb 1
fast-io
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288

image.png.7730b3206076ae20c1a5fdb3f53aa62e.png

Hi, from experience, you will not get much more through this CPU, its not powerful to run anywhere near what you are looking to achieve - remember OpenVPN is single threaded - it only has the ability to use one core.

Regards

airewen

I use Pfsense as well. What I did was connect via UDP instead of TCP to TorGuard vía a different port than the standard one.  

I have a 400 meg down 30 up WAN connection.  While using TCP protocol with TG I was only getting 140-160 down 15 up. When I changed to UDP (due to the lower overhead) now I am getting 360 down 24 up.   I also prefetch my DNS cache.  In DNS Resolver I set my network interfaces as my LAN interface as well as my 127.0.0.1 interface.   My outgoing interface is only set to the TorGuard WAN interface.  I also use the DNS over TLS servers in my “General Setup”- DNS tab (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1).    This way only my LAN is using port 53 for DNS (due to my gaming consoles) and my outside queries use  port 853 for encrypted  DNS. 

By having my DNS prefetched and cached, websites load quicker.  My pfsense firewall provides VPN security to the devices tunneling through the vpn.  

Those that do not use the TORGUARD WAN interface but tunnel through the regular WAN interface still get the benefit of encrypted DNS (i.e. my Xbox consoles)

Hope the above helps  

chumleyex

Ok, thank you for your reply.