Derailed

Deluge on VPN

Rate this question

Question

Derailed

Hi Forum

Just started trying out TorGuard for VPN usage with deluge

But I having real issues regarding my setup
I have Deluge running with Jackett,Sonarr and Radarr - But each torrent I uploading - are losing all download speed!
My Incomming ports are 6881-6889 and outgoing ports are 19001-19005 both TCP
I have added these portwards

sudo -u vpn -i -- curl ipinfo.io
{
  "ip": "185.232.21.242",
  "hostname": "no-mans-land.m247.com",
  "city": "Zaventem",
  "region": "Flanders",
  "country": "BE",
  "loc": "50.8837,4.4730",
  "org": "AS9009 M247 Ltd",
  "postal": "1930",
  "timezone": "Europe/Brussels",
  "readme": "https://ipinfo.io/missingauth"

And all my trafic are routed the right way out - But still no downloadspeed at all - even when 98 seeders are online - So my best guess must be the portforward ( Could/Should I wait for some time before this is working - Since each 15minutes, I'm getting a little speed - which quickly goes down to 0 - and are like 200days before downloading this torrent

Attached the portforwarding - which makes no sense to me its not working!  - But am I doing something wrong here ?

In my trackers status - I'm getting this error:

checkmytorrentip.net: Error: Success, Your torrent client IP is: 185.232.21.242

I Cannot see actually where my problem is in this case - so hoping some one can tell me the issue and where to do something about?
Or is it to wait untill staff have created the portforwarding ?

Thanks in advance

ports.PNG

6 answers to this question

kurisu

Deluge is fine, I run it on my Synology through a port forwarded TG.

I set up the same port forward for UDP and TCP, you'll need UDP for seeding. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/deluge#Firewall

No need to set up multiple different port forwards, just use one port forward and restrict the listening port range (e.g. 19210-19210) in the config. You can leave it set to random outgoing ports as usual.

With Deluge running, run some open port tests.

https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ 

https://www.ipvoid.com/udp-port-scan/

(other tools also available, e.g. https://check-host.net/check-udp?lang=enhttps://www.ipfingerprints.com/portscan.php)

Amir

@kurisu

Between qBittorrent 4.1.7 and Tixati, which one you recommend?

kurisu
9 minutes ago, Amir said:

@kurisu

Between qBittorrent 4.1.7 and Tixati, which one you recommend?

I've only used both of those clients for a short time but out of but two I thought qBittorrent was easier to get going with. There's good discussion of both on Reddit. However I prefer Deluge for the client/server arrangement and its extensibility with plugins and so on. I also use Transdrone for remote control of my system.

Amir

I am having a hard time finding you on Reddit.

A user said: But Tixati is proprietary while qbittorrent is libre software.

A geek friend of mine told this in his email to me:

“Yeah the free/libre software is a very bad argument to make IMO. It’s only a real argument if you, yourself, are able, and have the time to, audit the source code. But in reality, everyone trusts anyone else to do it, because they don’t. So actually, nobody does. Proof is that decades-old vulnerabilities pop out semi-regularly on BleepingComputer and other security news sites.

So you don’t know that the software is more ethical, better performing, or whatever, because it’s open source.
It is not an indication of software quality either.

The ethics of open source are good in principle, but debatable in reality (how do you pay your developer if anyone can then copy-paste their code and make money off of it, cheaper even because they didn’t have to pay a developer ?), but that’s another discussion altogether.

So I don’t see his point, really.
It looks more like a troll or a free software bigot.”

Whats your input  on this? Thank you.

kurisu

And I never recommended it (or anything) just because it's GPL... 😉 .

Your friend has valid points about the legitimacy of the 'FOSS therefore safer" argument, look at the numerous instances of free/open projects being hacked or compromised. Node got hacked, pushed out maliciously altered packages for weeks/months and nobody noticed because nobody audits. 

I have no qualms about closed source, I simply prefer Deluge because it suits my workflow better. I have Tixati installed on my desktop when I was doing a comparison of all clients (and seeing which was 'fastest'); I went back to uTorrent 2!

Then I decided I'd just go headless, run Deluge on my NAS and I've not looked back since.

There are useful feature comparison of all the major clients. Some people pick one and stick to it through loyalty or familiarity, that's also OK. I used a variety of clients (remember the Java hog Azureus?!) for many years before moving to uTorrent - but I didn't want to upgrade to uT3 because of all the added bloat and suspicions of tracking etc. Sadly uT has some major performance issues, needs setting up exactly right to avoid things like disk I/O exhaustion, and suffers occasional corruption problems with very large sets of torrents.

Nowadays it's inefficient to seed/torrent locally when you can run on another machine or a seedbox for such little investment. Deluge's client/server model works well for what I want, integrates with other apps and workflows (auto-sorting, indexing, etc) and can run daemonised on another machine being controlled remotely, which IMO makes it a winner. It's also written in Python, no UI required.