TorGuard

Torguard Ikev2 vpn configuration

TorUserJan

Question

TorUserJan

I tried creating torguard ikev2 configuration as per steps mentioned on the web site but when i try to connect then it shows error user authentication failed. I have entered correct user ID and password.

Is it because of i have enabled 2fa for website login?

19 answers to this question

I have made numerous attempts to setup and connect with IKEv2 on my macbook but i recieve same error message as you, "user authentication failed". The TG support staff have assisted me but no success and they gave up on me. It seems the IKEv2 feature is not a feature as it simply DOES NOT work and torguard seems not to care.

Hope TG support will read this and respond appropriately.

You need to use your service username and password.  Not the website login password.

Torguard's implementation of IKEv2 (when you get it to connect) has problems with macOS clients.  Your connection will drop out after 8 minutes.  It seems this is not an issue with Windows clients and it works well for me with iOS.

4 minutes ago, gilby said:

You need to use your service username and password.  Not the website login password.

Torguard's implementation of IKEv2 (when you get it to connect) has problems with macOS clients.  Your connection will drop out after 8 minutes.  It seems this is not an issue with Windows clients and it works well for me with iOS.

You have any insight on configuring IKEv2 in a VPN client such as SHIMO?

19 minutes ago, uNc said:

You have any insight on configuring IKEv2 in a VPN client such as SHIMO?

Sorry, no.  But based on my macOS experience with the inbuilt IKEv2 it is quite possible that the SHIMO IKEv2 client and Torguard's servers are not compatible.  I didn't know SHIMO could do IKEv2.

Support
On 2/9/2020 at 5:18 AM, uNc said:

I have made numerous attempts to setup and connect with IKEv2 on my macbook but i recieve same error message as you, "user authentication failed". The TG support staff have assisted me but no success and they gave up on me. It seems the IKEv2 feature is not a feature as it simply DOES NOT work and torguard seems not to care.

Hope TG support will read this and respond appropriately.

Please be sure to import the root CA here https://torguard.net/tgcerts.php

Once you install the certificate - go to your keychain --> certificates, right click the VPN Root CA cert and click get info, under trust set IP Security (IPSec) to always trust, now connect via IKEv2.

On 2/11/2020 at 3:38 AM, gilby said:

This was a Mac OS problem - can you try it now?

18 minutes ago, Support said:

Please be sure to import the root CA here https://torguard.net/tgcerts.php

Once you install the certificate - go to your keychain --> certificates, right click the VPN Root CA cert and click get info, under trust, under trust set IP Security (IPSec) to always trust, now connect via IKEv2.

Oh, I have managed to connect my mac to IKEv2 but is it ever SLOOOOoooWWWwww! Horribly slow compared to OpenVPN  and if anything it should be much faster.

My next quandary is "why/how can IKEv2 be so much slower than OpenVPN"?? (exact test parameters used for all test locations and protocols).

Support
32 minutes ago, uNc said:

Oh, I have managed to connect my mac to IKEv2 but is it ever SLOOOOoooWWWwww! Horribly slow compared to OpenVPN  and if anything it should be much faster.

My next quandary is "why/how can IKEv2 be so much slower than OpenVPN"?? (exact test parameters used for all test locations and protocols).

It should be faster I would imagine yes but this is dependant on the network, did you try different locations? is TG desktop app disconnected and fully closed?

Regards

8 minutes ago, Support said:

It should be faster I would imagine yes but this is dependant on the network, did you try different locations? is TG desktop app disconnected and fully closed?

Regards

well, I can assure you that TG IKEv2 IS NOT FASt....at all, quite the opposite. I have tested it with numerous speed tests and locations and I can assure you it is slow, very slow compared to the other VPN I use. 

Support
1 minute ago, uNc said:

well, I can assure you that TG IKEv2 IS NOT FASt....at all, quite the opposite. I have tested it with numerous speed tests and locations and I can assure you it is slow, very slow compared to the other VPN I use. 

Like I said - it really is dependant on the network you use it within - some users can see better speeds via IPSec some may not.

35 minutes ago, Support said:

Like I said - it really is dependant on the network you use it within - some users can see better speeds via IPSec some may not.

Nevermind saying it depends on the network! I just tested it, see results below! All on the same fiber service on 5GHz wifi.

TG IKEv2 speed is PATHETIC. TG OpenVPN is 5X faster than TG IKEv2.

Torguard needs to fix this or lose customers....up to you.

Also IKEv2 should be available in the MacOS desktop app. Many other VPN providers offer IKEv2 in their MacOS desktop apps.

Just saying.

Torguard-IKEv2 Singapore

Speedtest by Ookla   Server: Viewqwest Pte Ltd - Singapore (id = 2054)   ISP: DigitalOcean, LLC    Latency:    35.64 ms   (1.75 ms jitter)

Download:    35.34 Mbps (data used: 59.9 MB) 

Upload:   100.72 Mbps (data used: 181.7 MB)      Packet Loss:     0.0%

Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/f3c24a16-175a-49d9-b557-fa91060992e0

logoutSaving session......copying shared history......saving history...truncating history files......completed.

ExpressVPN IKEv2 Singapore (desktop app)
 Speedtest by Ookla   Server: Viewqwest Pte Ltd - Singapore (id = 2054)
        ISP: Security Firewall Ltd
    Latency:    31.81 ms   (1.13 ms jitter)

Download:   310.09 Mbps (data used: 295.8 MB)                               
    Upload:   113.13 Mbps (data used: 152.6 MB) Packet Loss:     0.0%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/bde87146-02a2-40f6-98f9-e9368a9190flogout
Saving session...copying shared history......saving history...truncating history files......completed.

Torguard OpenVPN Singapore (desktop app)
   Speedtest by Ookla   Server: PT Indosat Tbk - Singapore (id = 5168)
        ISP: Digital Ocean
    Latency:    31.52 ms   (1.31 ms jitter)

Download:   171.06 Mbps (data used: 258.4 MB)                               
     Upload:   126.21 Mbps (data used: 197.2 MB)    Packet Loss:     0.0%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/5fc92756-db43-449d-a118-c03356928cd8
logoutSaving session......copying shared history......saving history...truncating history files......completed.

Support
26 minutes ago, uNc said:

Nevermind saying it depends on the network! I just tested it, see results below! All on the same fiber service on 5GHz wifi.

TG IKEv2 speed is PATHETIC. TG OpenVPN is 5X faster than TG IKEv2.

Torguard needs to fix this or lose customers....up to you.

Also IKEv2 should be available in the MacOS desktop app. Many other VPN providers offer IKEv2 in their MacOS desktop apps.

Just saying.

Torguard-IKEv2 Singapore

Speedtest by Ookla   Server: Viewqwest Pte Ltd - Singapore (id = 2054)   ISP: DigitalOcean, LLC    Latency:    35.64 ms   (1.75 ms jitter)

Download:    35.34 Mbps (data used: 59.9 MB) 

Upload:   100.72 Mbps (data used: 181.7 MB)      Packet Loss:     0.0%

Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/f3c24a16-175a-49d9-b557-fa91060992e0

logoutSaving session......copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files......completed.

ExpressVPN IKEv2 Singapore (desktop app)
 Speedtest by Ookla   Server: Viewqwest Pte Ltd - Singapore (id = 2054)
        ISP: Security Firewall Ltd
    Latency:    31.81 ms   (1.13 ms jitter)

Download:   310.09 Mbps (data used: 295.8 MB)                               
    Upload:   113.13 Mbps (data used: 152.6 MB) Packet Loss:     0.0%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/bde87146-02a2-40f6-98f9-e9368a9190flogout
Saving session...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

Torguard OpenVPN Singapore (desktop app)
   Speedtest by Ookla   Server: PT Indosat Tbk - Singapore (id = 5168)
        ISP: Digital Ocean
    Latency:    31.52 ms   (1.31 ms jitter)

Download:   171.06 Mbps (data used: 258.4 MB)                               
     Upload:   126.21 Mbps (data used: 197.2 MB)    Packet Loss:     0.0%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/5fc92756-db43-449d-a118-c03356928cd8
logoutSaving session...
...copying shared history......saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

OpenVPN is on the exact same servers/network so if the problem was our network then OpenVPN would be affected as well!

5 minutes ago, Support said:

OpenVPN is on the exact same servers/network so if the problem was our network then OpenVPN would be affected as well!

Whatever, your IKEv2 sucks, the OpenVPN and IKEv2 are on the same network, but IKEv2 speed is terrible....tells me the problem is definatelty a Torguard issue. without any proof to the contrary, you should find a solution. Update your desktop app to use IKEv2!

Support
10 minutes ago, uNc said:

Whatever, your IKEv2 sucks. without any proof to the contrary, you should find a solution. Update your desktop app to use IKEv2!

FYI this was already coming - but in regards to IKEv2, on different providers -  maybe some other providers sacrifice security for speed? you wouldn't know any better! 

And to prove your point,  connect to IKEv2, note down the IP,  then connect to it via openvpn.

17 minutes ago, Support said:

FYI this was already coming - but in regards to IKEv2, on different providers -  maybe some other providers sacrifice security for speed? you wouldn't know any better! 

And to prove your point,  connect to IKEv2, note down the IP,  then connect to it via openvpn.

Torguard IKEv2 IP (Singapore): 159.65.14.68

Torguard OpenVPN IP (Singapore) UDP Port 995 /desktop App  185.200.117.142

Those are two very different IP address's. U need to get your facts straight before spouttin off!

Support
4 minutes ago, uNc said:

Torguard IKEv2 IP (Singapore): 159.65.14.68

Torguard OpenVPN IP (Singapore) UDP Port 995 /desktop App  185.200.117.142

Those are two very different IP address's. U need to get your facts straight before spouttin off!

Are you being deliberately obtuse? please care to read my reply before you "spout off" - I clearly told you to connect to IKEv2, NOTE down the IP (as in copy it to a text file) then add it to the TorGuard Client under more settings --> Servers tab.

30 minutes ago, Support said:

Are you being deliberately obtuse? please care to read my reply before you "spout off" - I clearly told you to connect to IKEv2, NOTE down the IP (as in copy it to a text file) then add it to the TorGuard Client under more settings --> Servers tab.

Support

I would suggest you change the DNS server for your IKev2 connection under advanced and see if this makes any difference, it could be a cause for slow speeds.

15 hours ago, Support said:

I would suggest you change the DNS server for your IKev2 connection under advanced and see if this makes any difference, it could be a cause for slow speeds.

Changed DNS numerous times, no effect.

Most asian secureconnect locations return UAF error (User Authentication Failed), some server locations accept my login credentials but many do not. Too many problems/headaches with torguards IKEv2 on MacOS. 

Time to move on from TG IKEv2 at this point, to one that performs as designed and is fit for purpose.

gilby
On 2/13/2020 at 9:30 PM, Support said:

I know this is nearly 2 months old, but just to confirm that IKEv2 now works with my Macs.  Something changed (for the better) in the macOS 10.15.3/4 timeframe.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:00 AM, Support said:

I would suggest you change the DNS server for your IKev2

I would like to be able to do this, but I can't find a way.  I have tried in System Preferences and in Terminal with network setup command.

The DNS server, as reported by dig, is always 34.228.48.172 or 35.170.152.112.   It is much slower than forcing dig to use 1.1.1.1.  For example

dig www.apple.com has a query time of 260 msec

dig www.apple.com @1.1.1.1 has a query time of 24 msec.