TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  

[Q] VPN and default DNS

Rate this question

Question

Hi all,

I've just bought my VPN pass and all works really well. I had a look at the DNS SECURE and understood that my computer may leak some traffic because it is not using the DNS providing by the VPN (https://dnsleaktest.com/what-is-a-dns-leak.html) so i understood that using a vpn may be useless if there is a leak^^

But, why do TorGuard don't provide secure dns with the VPN ? And why do my dns leak test leads me to exclusive Google ISP servers... I'm neither using google DNS on my router nor google chrome so ?

Thanks in advance.

8 answers to this question

Support

Hello FromBabylon

Have you ever used google DNS ? you can control what DNS you use, you can set any static DNS you wish on your PC/Mac or devices.

Regards

Hi,

I have used google DNS when i was not aware of NSA & search spy & ... :P

But i don't have google DNS since a long time. I have used openDNS by putting it in my router config in order to bypass my FAI one (i'm french sorry) but i put the FAI one back.

The fact is that when the VPN is tuned the computer bypass my DNS config in network manager and use the one provided by the VPN. Because i can see "server with Google ISP in germany" only when tuned with VPN. So my question is still alive : Who is connected to this DNS servers ? My computer or the VPN server ?

I've read some things and i've got another question here. As VPN is explained as "computer tunneling to a VPN server and then the server connect to the internet/...". So if i set a firewall rejecting all outgoing trafic which is not going to the VPN server (with its range of ip) i should be able to stop network when VPN disconnect ?

Thanks

Support

Hello quite a few servers we migrated from streaming purposes to VPN did use google resolvers, we are gradually phasing them out though to our new secure dns.

Your correct, most VPN servers use the ranges 10.8.x.x 10.9.x.x so just allowing access to these should do it unless of course your network is in the same range.

Regards

Hum.. And when do google servers will no longer being used ?

Or which country should I take to use something else than google DNS servers which of course make the VPN nearly useless ^^

How can i get the range of ip for the VPN server i'm connected to ?

Regards

Support

Hello - they will be phased out in less a than a week - remember you control what DNS you use.

Check connection logs, it will tell you what range you are assigned a internal IP from.

Regards

Hi,

So i will no longer see Google ISP server when i test my dsn leak in a week or two ? (supposing my system is well using the VPN dns)

I've checked and see the range. I'm actually learning how tu use mac firewall but that's not as simple as it seems ^^

And even with VPN i'v got some apps that contact some servers (nearly always Google -_-) from my network internal ip adress (192.168.1.*) instead of VPN adress (10.*.*.*.) ! The ips contacting by those apps are not Google DNS server so it's not the dns leak...

I think it needs some work to be well protected :)

Support

Correct.

In regards to google, when you are connected to the VPN these connections will all be made through VPN - they cannot bypass the VPN.

Regards

That's cool :) i can wait as the service is really good here !

But when VPN connected, i use IceFloor to check the apps connections.

And i can see connection "coming from" 192.168.1.* instead of 10.*.*.*

98% of connections are coming from my vpn internal adress (10.*.*.*) but some leaks and use my network internal ip adress (192.168.1.*)to directly contact google servers...

A screenshot may help to understand what I'm trying to explain ?