TorGuard

using IKEv2 in the iOS 13.3 iPhone 11

oscarcin

Question

I am using iPhone 11 running ios 13.3, am using TG app from apple store, Not much to configure, on/off   IPSEC/IKEv2, I would rather use OpenVPN but the instructions on your site are misleading ! I opened the site in safari on my Phone Followed the whole procedure but after downloading the config files from the configurator , a new window was supposed to open to import the files into OpenVPN, it did not ! I tried other methods to import files to no avail ?? Please advise how to perform procedure correctly. I do not like ipsec or ikev2 !

10 answers to this question

Have another go with IKEv2.  For a mobile device, I consider that IKEv2 has distinct advantages over OpenVPN.  It is easier to set up (as you have found), but more importantly the connection is more robust as you roam between connections.

TorUserJan
On 12/29/2019 at 3:45 PM, gilby said:

Have another go with IKEv2.  For a mobile device, I consider that IKEv2 has distinct advantages over OpenVPN.  It is easier to set up (as you have found), but more importantly the connection is more robust as you roam between connections.

How do you configure it?

I tried steps on the website of torguard but for me it shows user authentication failed.

16 minutes ago, TorUserJan said:

tried steps on the website of torguard but for me it shows user authentication failed.

Do you have a link on the website to the steps you used?  I just use the iOS app.  The only pitfall I know of is using the wrong 'username'.  It is not the same as the username & password you use to login on the Torguard website - it is the one called "Service credentials" on your account Info.  If you can't get it to work, try using Torguard Support.

TorUserJan
3 minutes ago, gilby said:

Do you have a link on the website to the steps you used?  I just use the iOS app.  The only pitfall I know of is using the wrong 'username'.  It is not the same as the username & password you use to login on the Torguard website - it is the one called "Service credentials" on your account Info.  If you can't get it to work, try using Torguard Support.

I tried these steps https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=212

Where can i find these service credentials? I checked my account and can't see it there. Do i need to login to desktop website?

Use iOS App https://apps.apple.com/us/app/torguard-anonymous-vpn-service/id988743799. Much easier.

The Torguard web site is full of information which is rather old and sometimes wrong.  I have in the past used your linked page (or something similar) but it is old (refers to iOS 9) and I suspect wrong in suggesting you use your email address and password as the IKEv2 username - I believe it should be your service credentials.

31 minutes ago, TorUserJan said:

Where can i find these service credentials? I checked my account and can't see it there. Do i need to login to desktop website?

Sorry, I didn't answer this bit.    Yes, login to the Torguard web site and look in your account info.  See attached for mine - the blurred bit is some numbers.

Capto_2020-01-04_01-53-34_pm.png

TorUserJan
45 minutes ago, gilby said:

Sorry, I didn't answer this bit.    Yes, login to the Torguard web site and look in your account info.  See attached for mine - the blurred bit is some numbers.

Capto_2020-01-04_01-53-34_pm.png

Thanks for the reply!

TorUserJan
1 hour ago, gilby said:

Use iOS App https://apps.apple.com/us/app/torguard-anonymous-vpn-service/id988743799. Much easier.

The Torguard web site is full of information which is rather old and sometimes wrong.  I have in the past used your linked page (or something similar) but it is old (refers to iOS 9) and I suspect wrong in suggesting you use your email address and password as the IKEv2 username - I believe it should be your service credentials.

Does your torguard app disconnect when phone goes into sleep mode?

1 hour ago, TorUserJan said:

Does your torguard app disconnect when phone goes into sleep mode?

With the Torguard app, when you to tell it to connect it creates an IKEv2 VPN with 'connect on demand' enabled. So whenever the iPhone needs a network connection, iOS will check if the VPN is connected and, if not, will make it connect.  My understanding is that this applies whether the iPhone is sleeping or not - I  don't know how to prove this from direct experience.  Certainly when I wake the iPhone, the VPN is either connected or quickly connects.  Unless you need to stop the VPN (using the Torguard app) there is no need to touch the VPN through all sleeps, wakes and changes of network (e.g. wifi to mobile/cell) for weeks on end.

There are two things going on:

'Connect on demand' which does what it says whenever a process wants a network connection. This has always been available on iOS in the IPSec family and, with earlier implementations of iOS, required certificates to be separately installed as a profile on the iPhone.  Now with IKEv2 apps such as the Torguard one can do it without any messing about. 

Roaming: IKEv2 has strong roaming capabilities, such that it can maintain the same VPN connection (i.e. it doesn't need to make a new connection) when you change physical networks.  

Unless there are strong reasons to use OpenVPN, the general advice for mobile devices was to use IPsec with connect on demand, but now to use IKEv2 with connect on demand.

• Thanks 1