TorGuard

Torguard background service not running

Rate this topic

Starhowl

Every time I try to connect I get the message that the torguard background service is not running, and if it shall start it now.

If I click yes, it tells me that the connection attempt failed. Win7 x64.

Furthermore it wants to update again and again to the newest version - but no matter how often I install the latest, it wants to update again?

Support

Hello - sorry for the messy upgrade, - please completely uninstall and reinstall the version from our downloads page here torguard.net/downloads.php and this will solve your problem.

Regards

I tried installing Viscosity update from torguard.net/downloads.php as you suggested.

After which I continue to get continuous "background service not running" pop up.(clicking on yes apparently is not starting the background service)

I just followed instructions given by TG staff & I too got the same message, i guess after the clean install we cannot click upgrade. I hope this gets resolved quickly, i don't like the idea of having these vulnerabilities, surely this is what upgrades are meant to prevent. I'm sure this will be a factor when considering renewing my subscription in a few months

My apologies, but somehow the access rights for my "Programs" got changed so that I cannot delete, create or change files in there anymore.

Strange thing is, that if owner with full rights has been set to my user which is administrator, it's still not possible anymore.

Looks like I'm gonna have to reinstall Windows 7.

Support
I just followed instructions given by TG staff & I too got the same message, i guess after the clean install we cannot click upgrade. I hope this gets resolved quickly, i don't like the idea of having these vulnerabilities, surely this is what upgrades are meant to prevent. I'm sure this will be a factor when considering renewing my subscription in a few months

Hey

Did you completely remove viscosity/torguard and then reinstall using the version from the downloads page here >> torguard.net/downloads.php ?

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

OK, Folks. We're just going in circles here.

I downloaded the new file three days ago and did a fresh install and am getting this message.

So the "upgrade" line isn't flying with me. How about some real support here?

Perhaps I should cut my losses, get a refund and go with a different company. As a new customer, I am singularly unimpressed.

• 2 weeks later...

By omitting the upgrade function and uninstalling Viscosity and downloading the latest version (not the one from my personal page) I was able to solve the problem once.

What finally worked for me? Switching to the open source OpenVPN client.

I buy Viscosity for other purposes, just not on Windows. I bet the ANCIENT version of Viscosity is the problem.

Support

Hi Guys

We did have an issue with 1 of the upgrades that where pushed, this started a wave of issues due to the branding of the app -however we did fix this fairly quickly.

I think where people are getting confused is we had 2 downloads, 1 from the billing homepage and the latest from the downloads page - if this happens and you uninstall you need to download the version from torguard.net/downloads.php and install this, this should clear up any issues.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, here is how to fix this error-it is a result of the virtual adapter either not working or not being installed. First, uninstall all instances of torguard, torguard lite and viscosity, next, goto device manager (if in Windows-guessing this is not an issue in Ubunto-at least I have never seen it pop up), so, in device manager, expand Network Adapters, then right click and delete all "Viscosity Virtual" adapters. Then reboot. Now, the FIRST-download and install Torguard LITE (this will re-install the virtual adapter), then re-install viscosity-it will find the virtual adapter and bind to the appropriate VPN service-the one that keeps whining about not being started. After re-installing Viscosity, download a fresh copy of the server list, copy to your OpenVPN config folder (usually c:program filesopenvpnconfig), then open Viscosity and (what I like to do next, delete all the server lists, then goto the "General" tab and Import OpenVPN Connections, it will import a fresh list that you just copied in. Then connect to a server. I promise, if you followed these steps it will work. The essential issue is that your virtual adapter is either corrupt or missing. If anyone wants to clean up these instructions please do so. In a rush this am, so typing fast-to spread a little help!

Cheers!!

M

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
gholikhan

After the last update I have the same issue. Uninstalled the software and installed a new copy but is still getting the same error. Every time I click yes to starting the background service, it tries to connect but it doesn't. Windows 7. Please help.