TorGuard
duffer

VPN settings for Asuswrt-Merlin router

Rate this question

Question

duffer

Hello,

I am having speed issues with my Asus Merlin router.

I have 2 VPN servers setup: 1 for streaming with a TG streaming dedicated IP address and 1 general for security/torrenting (OpenVPN).

Could somebody recommend the best settings for these please?

1. For streaming only with the dedicated IP address: No security or minimal security required. Mainly used for watching BBC iPlayer on Nividia Shield and Sky Go on iPad.

2. The settings that offer the best combination for speed and security. I do occasional torrenting on this server.

TIA

5 answers to this question

balexter

Hey duffer,

if you want I could upload my Asus Merlin settings.

Why do you use 2 VPN servers?

I only use 1 VPN client.

Maybe your speed issues are because your router needs to encrypt 2 VPN!

duffer
On 12/31/2019 at 10:26 AM, balexter said:

Hey duffer,

if you want I could upload my Asus Merlin settings.

Why do you use 2 VPN servers?

I only use 1 VPN client.

Maybe your speed issues are because your router needs to encrypt 2 VPN!

Hello Balexter,

I am using an RT-AC88 which I was informed to be more than capable of handling 2 servers. Even with just 1 server, the speed is slow. I have 1 server which is just for streaming BBC and Sky with dedicated UK IP address so no need for any security/encryption. That works OK enough, there aren't any issues.

The main issue is the server for which I connect my laptops and NAS, for which I want good security but also good speed, considering I have fiber optic FTTH connection.

Please could you upload the settings or tell me which protocols you are using, that could help me a lot.

Many thanks!

balexter

hey duffer.

I am using an ASUS 86U. Totally recommend  this.

I am uploading the settings that work best for me.

Be sure to change everything according. I had some trouble with connection loss/not reconnecting correctly until I changed some default settings in merlin.

Keep in mind the 88U is not the strongest router out there. If you can get 60 - 80 Mbs encrypted you should be thankfull I think.

When you mention slow, what speed exactly are we talking about?

Hope this helps!

Regards

1a.PNG

2.PNG

uNc
On 12/18/2019 at 1:45 AM, duffer said:

Hello,

I am having speed issues with my Asus Merlin router.

I have 2 VPN servers setup: 1 for streaming with a TG streaming dedicated IP address and 1 general for security/torrenting (OpenVPN).

Could somebody recommend the best settings for these please?

1. For streaming only with the dedicated IP address: No security or minimal security required. Mainly used for watching BBC iPlayer on Nividia Shield and Sky Go on iPad.

2. The settings that offer the best combination for speed and security. I do occasional torrenting on this server.

TIA

Hi, 

Your speed issue is caused by your router, which does NOT have hardware acceleration. I have an AC88U and maximum speed on OpenVPN is ~50 or 60Mbps. I also have an Asus AC86U (with hardware acceleration) and regulary achieve OpenVPN speeds > 200Mbps. YOur current router is the bottleneck, you need to use an AC86U if you want to improve OpenVPN cipher mgmt. FYI, I usually have two or more OpenVPN Clients running simultaneously and performance is very reasonable.