TorGuard

Wireguard support with dedicated IP?

Rate this question

MadKow

Question

I have successfully used wireguard to connect to the "wireguard" servers listed in the support page; however, I am looking to connect via wireguard to one of the dedicated IP servers I have on my account.   Is anyone aware if this is available now and, if so, how to set it up, or if there is any timeline on when it will be available?

• Like 4

On 10/28/2019 at 6:35 PM, MadKow said:

I have successfully used wireguard to connect to the "wireguard" servers listed in the support page; however, I am looking to connect via wireguard to one of the dedicated IP servers I have on my account.   Is anyone aware if this is available now and, if so, how to set it up, or if there is any timeline on when it will be available?

Hi - we are certainly considering this, we have no eta right now when this will be available though.

Regards

On 10/30/2019 at 4:02 PM, Support said:

Hi - we are certainly considering this, we have no eta right now when this will be available though.

Regards

Has the status on this changed? I really want to get off openvpn and switch to wireguard, but I have a dedicated IP.

BogBeast
On 10/30/2019 at 7:02 PM, Support said:

Regards

I would add my vote for this as well, especially as it appearing in Linux 5.6 Kernel kernel

Support
On 2/3/2020 at 7:37 PM, oggie said:

Has the status on this changed? I really want to get off openvpn and switch to wireguard, but I have a dedicated IP.

We will support this once wireguard is built into the TG client - we already have a ticket in for this, no eta right now though.

On 2/12/2020 at 12:30 AM, BogBeast said:

I would add my vote for this as well, especially as it appearing in Linux 5.6 Kernel kernel

Rest assured we have the plans for it.

Regards

BogBeast
On 4/25/2020 at 3:18 PM, Juwid said:

Any update?

@Support

Diito from me. Any update?

Or is there a way to configure the linux supplicant natively. I only connect to my dedicated IPs, so  I'd happily do without the TGClient 

• Like 1
Support
54 minutes ago, kurisu said:

+1 from me, Wireguard to dedicated and streaming IPs would be wonderful. 

It is on the way in 2/3 weeks :)

• Like 1
On 5/29/2020 at 9:38 PM, simplesimon said:

Can you also provide setup tutorial setup once it is completed. Thanks 

tutorial isn't really needed, 

simply select the protocol Wireguard instead of openvpn on the main front screen of the app once it arrives in an app update  😃

BluePoet

Everything I see so far mentions the app. Will there be router support for Dedicated or Streaming IPs?

BogBeast
5 hours ago, CSJ said:

tutorial isn't really needed,

simply select the protocol Wireguard instead of openvpn on the main front screen of the app once it arrives in an app update 😃

Whilst I don't mind the app and I do use it for with my dedicated IP, I would think that it would be more efficient for me to configure the native wireguard support in linux rather than the app. I only ever connect using my dedicated IP so a lot of the benefit of the app is wasted for me. So some guidance on configuring native support would be welcomed by me.,

oggie

I'm in the same position. I don't use the app, and have been using native Linux networking to connect using openvpn. I will want to do the same again with wireguard.

3 hours ago, BogBeast said:

Whilst I don't mind the app and I do use it for with my dedicated IP, I would think that it would be more efficient for me to configure the native wireguard support in linux rather than the app. I only ever connect using my dedicated IP so a lot of the benefit of the app is wasted for me. So some guidance on configuring native support would be welcomed by me.,

You can already use wireguard on some servers right now - just use the official wireguard app & import a wireguard server.

TG have stated all servers, including dedicated IP's will be Wireguard > so once it drops, you should be able to export/import your dedicated server. (but TG will have to confirm this) 

7 hours ago, BluePoet said:

Everything I see so far mentions the app. Will there be router support for Dedicated or Streaming IPs?

router support is already there for dedicated IP's 

just add your dedicated IP to your VPN Client part of your router (ive tested it on an ASUS AC-87U / Asus merlin 3rd party firmware for example) 

take note though, routers don't have the CPU for fast VPN connections > so if your internet is above 70-100mb > the router will most likely bottleneck. 

Support
1 hour ago, CSJ said:

You can already use wireguard on some servers right now - just use the official wireguard app & import a wireguard server.

TG have stated all servers, including dedicated IP's will be Wireguard > so once it drops, you should be able to export/import your dedicated server. (but TG will have to confirm this) 

It will indeed include Dedicated IP's and Port forwards, our intention is to have an option on the fixed IP's page to switch your IP or port forward to WireGuard, then reload the config in the app,

Regards

11 hours ago, CSJ said:

router support is already there for dedicated IP's 

just add your dedicated IP to your VPN Client part of your router (ive tested it on an ASUS AC-87U / Asus merlin 3rd party firmware for example) 

take note though, routers don't have the CPU for fast VPN connections > so if your internet is above 70-100mb > the router will most likely bottleneck. 

Wireguard is not supported on the RT-AC87U and most Asus routers if using merlin f/w, u must flash the AC87U with OpenWrt to configure wireguard. Merlin only supports OpenVPN & PPTP/L2TP protocols. Best router for wireguard is the AC86U (hardware accelerated CPU) but functionality is limited currently.

BluePoet

I can already use WireGuard on my router to my dedicated IP?  Right now I am running DD-WRT, but will make changes if that will enable WireGuard, but I don’t want to do that unless I can use it on the dedicated IP.

My understanding of today's TG wireguard announcement is that all shared servers in all locations and dedicated and streaming IP's will have access to wireguard protocol in approx 2 to 3 weeks from today. So yes, if you have a dedicated IP then you can use it with wireguard on the TG apps AND any supported router flashed with OpenWRT. 

You can check if your router supports OpenWRT here: https://openwrt.org/toh/start

BluePoet
7 hours ago, uNc said:

My understanding of today's TG wireguard announcement is that all shared servers in all locations and dedicated and streaming IP's will have access to wireguard protocol in approx 2 to 3 weeks from today. So yes, if you have a dedicated IP then you can use it with wireguard on the TG apps AND any supported router flashed with OpenWRT. 

You can check if your router supports OpenWRT here: https://openwrt.org/toh/start

Will there be a tutorial on how to enable Wireguard via tunnel from DD-WRT, or is that not even possible?  If it isn't, my router is on that list (can do OpenWRT or DD-WRT), and I will make the switch; I would just rather not.

On 6/2/2020 at 5:14 AM, BluePoet said:

Will there be a tutorial on how to enable Wireguard via tunnel from DD-WRT, or is that not even possible?  If it isn't, my router is on that list (can do OpenWRT or DD-WRT), and I will make the switch; I would just rather not.

Time will tell if TG decides to offer support for Wireguard at the router level. Maybe u can pursue this with TG support.

On 6/1/2020 at 9:48 AM, uNc said:

Wireguard is not supported on the RT-AC87U and most Asus routers if using merlin f/w, u must flash the AC87U with OpenWrt to configure wireguard. Merlin only supports OpenVPN & PPTP/L2TP protocols. Best router for wireguard is the AC86U (hardware accelerated CPU) but functionality is limited currently.

Not sure why you quoted me - this post had nothing to do with using wireguard on the router, it was about wireguard being enabled for dedicated ip's 

To state the obvious, you 'obviously' have to have a router that supports Wireguard to use Wireguard. 😃

12 minutes ago, CSJ said:

Not sure why you quoted me - this post had nothing to do with using wireguard on the router, it was about wireguard being enabled for dedicated ip's 

To state the obvious, you 'obviously' have to have a router that supports Wireguard to use Wireguard. 😃

Oh, because you don't know what you're talking about, but I cleared it up for you hopefully.