TorGuard
flyerfocus

How Do I Prove the VPN is Working?

Rate this question

Question

flyerfocus

I just installed a network monitoring tool on my network. It immediately detected "Desktop Software - P2P BitTorrent" on the IP that I have Torguard running on and connecting with the Torguard Milan server on 45.9.25.114. If I'm able to detect the protocol my ISP is also. That's not comforting. So now I am curious to see if my traffic is even encrypted. Do I need to put Wireshark on the job or is there an existing tool to do this?

This is very concerning!

1 answer to this question

Support
14 hours ago, flyerfocus said:

I just installed a network monitoring tool on my network. It immediately detected "Desktop Software - P2P BitTorrent" on the IP that I have Torguard running on and connecting with the Torguard Milan server on 45.9.25.114. If I'm able to detect the protocol my ISP is also. That's not comforting. So now I am curious to see if my traffic is even encrypted. Do I need to put Wireshark on the job or is there an existing tool to do this?

This is very concerning!

Hello,

Well, you are on your own LAN and you haven't given us any information on how you're doing your monitoring, of course, there is info you will see locally that no one else remotely could see, I suggest using Wireshark:

1) Start TG VPN

2) Start Wireshark

3) Select your network interface (WiFi/Ethernet) to record

4) Begin recording

5) Search for the packets that have the “Protocol” as “OpenVPN”

6) Right-click on the OpenVPN packet

7) Select “Follow...UDP/TCP stream”

You will see that all traffic is encrypted.

Regards