TorGuard
Terrails

No internet access with some apps until reconnect

Rate this question

Question

Terrails

I've configured TorGuard to start with windows and it works without issue for usual activity, but when I open a windows app like Xbox Console Companion I get a "You need an Internet connection to use this app. Check your connection and try again (0x405)" error. I've noticed that the internet icon in the system tray is saying "No internet access", I'll attach the picture. The only way to fix this is to reconnect to the VPN which started to be annoying. This happens on every windows start.

en4OBhp.png

7 answers to this question

Support
10 hours ago, Terrails said:

I've configured TorGuard to start with windows and it works without issue for usual activity, but when I open a windows app like Xbox Console Companion I get a "You need an Internet connection to use this app. Check your connection and try again (0x405)" error. I've noticed that the internet icon in the system tray is saying "No internet access", I'll attach the picture. The only way to fix this is to reconnect to the VPN which started to be annoying. This happens on every windows start.

en4OBhp.png

Hi - try to disable more settings... --> network --> Seamless reconnect, block Internet when NOT Connected and IPv6 Leak protection, see if it then starts to work then we can figure out which feature is causing the issue.

Regards

Terrails

I've tried this but it didn't help, but after disabling WebRTC leak protection and doing a couple of restarts just in case, the problem was gone, but the problem now is that the Xbox app doesn't want to connect to the internet at all. I've had this issue with my previous VPN, some apps like Office, OneDrive and some windows apps didn't work. The solution I got from their support and the one that worked was to add a default gateway to the TAP adapter. This solution works with TorGuard too but is it a good idea to add a gateway or is there another way to fix this?

Terrails

Any help with this? The default gateway that my main adapter uses is 192.168.2.1 so I set it to that and it works, but shouldn't there be a default gateway for TorGuard?

Dave301

I'm having a similar problem (Windows 10). With TG (v3.96.1) connected, I have problems with the following apps:
- OneNote (cannot sync notebooks)
- Word, Excel (No Internet Connection)
- Adobe Creative Cloud (No Internet Connection)

I have tried to disable more settings... --> network --> Seamless reconnect, block Internet when NOT Connected and IPv6 Leak, to no avail.

Please advise.

Support
3 hours ago, Dave301 said:

I'm having a similar problem (Windows 10). With TG (v3.96.1) connected, I have problems with the following apps:
- OneNote (cannot sync notebooks)
- Word, Excel (No Internet Connection)
- Adobe Creative Cloud (No Internet Connection)

I have tried to disable more settings... --> network --> Seamless reconnect, block Internet when NOT Connected and IPv6 Leak, to no avail.

Please advise.

Once you make the VPN connection you need to restart the apps completely, shut them down and restart them, then see if they all start connecting.

Regards

Dave301

Yes, that works for OneNote, but not the others.

With none of the apps running in the foreground, and after making the VPN connection, I quit Creative Cloud from the tray, then went into Task Manager, and killed anything related to Adobe Creative Cloud. When I restarted CC, it still reported no Internet connection.

As for Excel, the only Office-related thing I could find was "Microsoft Office Click to Run" in Task manager, and I killed it. After starting Excel again, still no Internet connection.

I don't know of any other way of completely shutting down these apps. Any suggestions?

Support
On 9/18/2019 at 10:11 PM, Dave301 said:

Yes, that works for OneNote, but not the others.

With none of the apps running in the foreground, and after making the VPN connection, I quit Creative Cloud from the tray, then went into Task Manager, and killed anything related to Adobe Creative Cloud. When I restarted CC, it still reported no Internet connection.

As for Excel, the only Office-related thing I could find was "Microsoft Office Click to Run" in Task manager, and I killed it. After starting Excel again, still no Internet connection.

I don't know of any other way of completely shutting down these apps. Any suggestions?

It depends on how long it takes to try a new connection and for the last connection to drop off - for testing purposes, reboot making sure none of these apps or services are starting at boot - connect the VPN and then start all services that you have issues with, see if they start working again.