TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
41911_1511348123

Dnsleaktest

Rate this topic

41911_1511348123

hi, why is that that at dnsleaktest there are alot of google servers isnt one enough or am i leaking. And doesnt google log like everything

Denny

Doesn't Google Log DNS requests? That isn't very anonymous check out www.opennicproject.org

41911_1511348123

using opennic now whit no logs works great

I'm on a mac using TunnelBlick connected to an Amsterdam vpn server

Is it my computer that is asking a DNS request to google server in germany or the Amstersam vpn server ?

Some says on other forums that there is no leaks if you don't see a dns server from your own country (as a summary)..

Support

Hi guys

You can use whatever DNS you like to use by setting static DNS on your PC/Macs or devices.

Its true that if you do not see your ISP your are OK.

Regards

hi there!

just to let everyone know:

---

The owners of the servers have the ability to associate your IP address with the names of all web addresses you connect to and store this data indefinitely. This does not mean that they do log or store it indefinitely but they may and you need to trust whatever their policy says.

---

that was the 1st thing i've recognized when i've started using torguard. it's not good, so you should all change for your own saftey fo static dns from a secure provider. at least google as dns logs all the sites you are visiting. i mean the url, but not the content or messaging you're doing, but that's reason enough to change. i'm not yet sure how stabil the new sevice from torguard (secure dns) is, but i will give it a try, because it's a pain in the ass always to setup a static dns, when changing vpn-server on every connect...

I've also read this. And a staff member answer me this on another thread :

"Hello quite a few servers we migrated from streaming purposes to VPN did use google resolvers, we are gradually phasing them out though to our new secure dns."

I've also read this. And a staff member answer me this on another thread :

"Hello quite a few servers we migrated from streaming purposes to VPN did use google resolvers, we are gradually phasing them out though to our new secure dns."

. . .

Why should they change their DNS-Server? They have lately started offering "Secure-DNS", which you have to purchase, if you want to use... I'm experimenting a lot with the TG-Servers and configuration settings, but I haven't seen any change (no matter what server I connect to) about the Google-DNS...

I guess, you've just misunderstood something, because why should they change their "DNS-Servers" and offering at the same time "Secure-DNS"?!

No here is the link to the post.

https://torguard.net/forum.php?act=thread&tid=182

And i'm back for the same reason, there're still using Google DNS server.

Because Secure DNS are not free. And using google DNS make your VPN useless in regards to Data collect as Google will be able to spy on you then NSA & cie too

But i just think that they won't change the google dns server, it's just that this VPN wasn't made for being "anonymous in regards to the Snowden revelations" (if we could be anonymous).

SO either they are really changing the DNS because it is stupid to use VPN if google has all your browsing history or they don't mind at all and this could be why i will never recommend this VPN and use it anymore. I'm still waiting before judging :)

If a staff member could be clear on that subject that would be perfect :D

Support
No here is the link to the post.

https://torguard.net/forum.php?act=thread&tid=182

And i'm back for the same reason, there're still using Google DNS server.

Because Secure DNS are not free. And using google DNS make your VPN useless in regards to Data collect as Google will be able to spy on you then NSA & cie too

But i just think that they won't change the google dns server, it's just that this VPN wasn't made for being "anonymous in regards to the Snowden revelations" (if we could be anonymous).

SO either they are really changing the DNS because it is stupid to use VPN if google has all your browsing history or they don't mind at all and this could be why i will never recommend this VPN and use it anymore. I'm still waiting before judging :)

If a staff member could be clear on that subject that would be perfect :D

As we have already mentioned, some servers where migrated over from our streaming servers which contained the regular google DNS. The VPN is not useless as YOU have control over the DNS you use. You are starting to sound like your just trolling here.

Secure DNS is becoming free to all clients shortly.

Regards

Ok sorry so..

I'm just wondering how we're anonymous with a Google DNS server. Google stores all our visited domains so it can be linked to our already google account or other services no ?

I know i have control over DNS that's why i actually use OpenDNS and i'm willing to use your secure DNS.

I'm still here because the service is really good (especially speed) and you answer really fast on support.

But i think some people can come here in order to protect their privacy without knowing google is still recording with it's DNS server... Or i misunderstand what you mean by "REGULAR google DNS" ?

Regards

Support

You can enter them into either one, if in the Adapter the VPN will always use these for all connections, with Viscosity you may need to edit each connection.

Regards

59696_1511348127

New to TorGuard.net and the Windows app, which suggested upon install that I do a dnsleaktest, but now searching here and reading this thread I am very confused. I have the Free Secure DNS IPs in my router, and when I connect to dnsleaktest.com via a PC on the network, I see only Ecatel NL and Amanah Tech Canada in the Extended test list. Seems good right?

But then I put TorGuard Windows application on this PC I'm using now, and running the same Extended leaktest it shows 21 Google IPs in the US and Germany, and the Amanah Tech again.

What does this mean--it seems like the TorGuard-connected PC is Less Secure than the non-TG PC? Can someone please explain this to me?

After doing more reading, it seems the TG Staff answer about this is "yes we share DNS responsibilities with Google but CUSTOMERS' URLs can't be ID'ed back to them". Correct? I also found two ways to assure "No Google" (WE HATE GOOGLE):

1. Assert the secure DNS IPs for each Viscosity connection (why can't this be a Global change), and

2. Incorporate the TorGuard_ChgDNS.bat into Viscosity by Ian McOwan as discussed in this thread:

https://torguard.net/forum.php?act=thread&tid=379

I tried it and it seems to work!

Can someone confirm I understand this right?

kismo
New to TorGuard.net and the Windows app, which suggested upon install that I do a dnsleaktest, but now searching here and reading this thread I am very confused. I have the Free Secure DNS IPs in my router, and when I connect to dnsleaktest.com via a PC on the network, I see only Ecatel NL and Amanah Tech Canada in the Extended test list. Seems good right?

But then I put TorGuard Windows application on this PC I'm using now, and running the same Extended leaktest it shows 21 Google IPs in the US and Germany, and the Amanah Tech again.

What does this mean--it seems like the TorGuard-connected PC is Less Secure than the non-TG PC? Can someone please explain this to me?

After doing more reading, it seems the TG Staff answer about this is "yes we share DNS responsibilities with Google but CUSTOMERS' URLs can't be ID'ed back to them". Correct? I also found two ways to assure "No Google" (WE HATE GOOGLE):

1. Assert the secure DNS IPs for each Viscosity connection (why can't this be a Global change), and

2. Incorporate the TorGuard_ChgDNS.bat into Viscosity by Ian McOwan as discussed in this thread:

https://torguard.net/forum.php?act=thread&tid=379

I tried it and it seems to work!

Can someone confirm I understand this right?

What I did:

Setup router DHCP settings to use TorGuard Secure DNS. This will allow all network devices to use secure DNS when NOT connected to VPN.

Then on Viscosity,

Click Viscosity icon -> Preferences -> Highlight desired connection -> Gear symbol -> Duplicate Connection -> Highlight newly created connection -> Change Name if you want -> Networking Tab -> DNS Mode drop down list to Full DNS -> Add TorGuard Secure DNS server IP's separated by comma in the Server field -> Check box "Connect when TorGuard opens"

Main TorGuard Preferences -> General Tab -> Start TorGuard at Login

Main TorGuard Preferences -> Advanced Tab -> Check box "Disable IPv6..."

Results: Computer is automatically connected to my desired VPN server with custom DNS settings. Does not matter if I'm ON or OFF the VPN no Google servers show on DNSLeakTest.