TorGuard
Steve Maschue

Use of Torguard VPN with Banks

Rate this topic

Steve Maschue

Citibank and Bank of America are blocking my use of Torguard.  When I am connected to the VPN and log onto their webistes, I get an error message that says the site is unavailable right now.  But as soon as I disconnect from Torguard, I have no problem connecting.  When I am traveling to foreign countries or at hotels within the US, I want to use a VPN when I am doing banking.  Other VPNs  ( such as NordVPN) advertise that they work with banks, but I'd rather not switch to another VPN.  Torguard may, in fact, work with banks, but I may need to use a certain torguard server or setting.  I have tried many different combinations, however I can see that the number of permutations of settings and servers is vast!  Can anyone tell me if there are settings I can use that will allow me to do my banking via VPN?  

john1

Your best bet is to get a residential IP.

Steve Maschue

Thank you!  I did not know about this option!  I did find it on the Torguard website for an additional $8/mo.  That sounds expensive when added to the cost of the Torguard Anonymous VPN service.  The other VPN services provide anonymous VPN and say they work with banks at a price lower than Torguard's combined price.  Also, If I have a residential IP, would I still be protected?  It appears the Ip addresses are associated with Time Warner or Cox.  Would those ISPs be able to snoop on my link?  Would they be able to find out who I am?  Or would it still be an anonymous connection?

john1

If you use a 50% off code and pay for a year at a time it is only $27.50. I'm curious about the snooping myself. 

RyDze

Torguard works fine for accessing my online banking , i have never had issues. Logically it is best to access your online banking from the same VPN ip to whichever country you reside in. So for example if you lived in the USA it would be best to access your online banking via a USA VPN IP. Accessing your online banking from foreign countries via VPN may cause issues with your online banking due to them thinking the account security may be compromised. 

rfajman

I also have the problem of Citibank not allowing me to connect while I am using the Torguard VPN.  I don't use Bank of America, but have no problems with other banks or credit cards, such as Chase, American Express,  Synchrony, Elan, and Discover.  I also do not have the problem with my local bank.

It is possible to bypass the problem with a static route (route the site's IP address to your external IP address), but, of course, you lose the protection.

Steve Maschue

Thank you! 

Yes, I have no problem with Chase either. Only Citi and BA, and I've canceled my BA account.   I have encountered problems with other businesses though.   I understand the banks believe they have good security reasons for blocking connections from VPNs and that more banks and other businesses may start doing the same thing. So it may be a trend.  Businesses don't want to be blamed for bad security practices, but at the same time, they are forcing customers to use less-secure connections.  So if a customer gets "hacked" in some way, it is the customer's fault for not using a secure link -- not the business's fault.

My question is: "How does the bank know I'm connecting through a VPN?"  If I connect through a VPN server in LA, how is that different from me being in LA and connecting through a wifi link there?  Is there a "blacklist" of IP addresses for VPNs?  Are all of Torguard's IP addresses on that list?  Or is there some other characteristic of the VPN connection that banks or other businesses can detect to recognize it is coming from a VPN?