TorGuard
107787_1511348140

outlook 2016 can't connect with VPN

Rate this question

Question

107787_1511348140

hi,

i am running the latest office 365 version of outlook (32 bit) on Win 10 (64 bit), which automatically updates itself based on the wisdom of some microsoft sysadmin. it has worked fine in conjunction with Torguard VPN for ages, so i can only assume that an office update has caused this, but need to figure this out...maybe its something I should be doing differently.

• if Torguard VPN is connected and I start Outlook complains it cannot connect to the server - but more than that it actually freezes/hangs - clicking on it only gives that annoying "dang" sound. Outlook can only be closed with task manager.
  • if Outlook is hung, if i disconnect/quit Torguard before shutting down Outlook, there is no change - Outlook stays hung.
  • if Torguard is disconnected/not running, Outlook starts, connects & works fine.
  • starting/Connecting Torguard after Outlook has connected to the server, Outlook continues to happily run, consuming my waking moments with grumpy cat emails from my mum who just never grows tired of that shit.

• Torguard app DNS config is to use "Pushed DNS" when connected.
  • i have tried flushing DNS cache with the Torguard app before connecting the VPN, and also after VPN connection but before starting Outlook using ipconfig/flushdns - no change to above.
  • oh - and yes the usual restart outlook, restart torguard app, reboot PC stuff has been tried ad infinitum. 
  • can't see anything relevant in event viewer, except a couple of messages that the Outlook process has become unresponsive.

separately (but maybe connected to the above?) - i am based in Australia, and connect to the Sydney VPN server, but WhatsMyIP shows a US address.

any ideas?

10 answers to this question

107787_1511348140

oh and i should add that every other app starts/works fine with Torguard connected AFAIK.

107787_1511348140

continuing the troubleshooting:

ran a speed test, unconnected (speedtest.net closest server in Brisbane, Australia) i get:

93mbps down, 37 mbps up

connected to sydney VPN server (and per my previous post speedtest.net auto finds the closest server to be Wellington, KS) , i get:

20mbps down, 7mbps up - with a terrible ping (208ms)

Support
1 hour ago, 107787_1511348140 said:

continuing the troubleshooting:

ran a speed test, unconnected (speedtest.net closest server in Brisbane, Australia) i get:

93mbps down, 37 mbps up

connected to sydney VPN server (and per my previous post speedtest.net auto finds the closest server to be Wellington, KS) , i get:

20mbps down, 7mbps up - with a terrible ping (208ms)

Hello,

Have you tried different speed test servers? there not always the most accurate - what hardware are you running CPU spec specifically?

107787_1511348140

its a core i7 8550 - but thats not really the issue: its outlook connection, and also why i am exiting the Torguard VPN in the US instead of Sydney...

[edit] i have opened a support ticket 818175 so my VPN screenshots are a tad more discrete.

Edited by 107787_1511348140
to update TG support

107787_1511348140

ok to close this out...36 hours or so after stopping working, outlook suddenly decides that its OK to connect to the server regardless of Torguard status.

no changes made - despite the troubleshooting. just another one to chalk up to microsoft i guess.

thanks TG support...

107787_1511348140

OK so outlook won't work with VPN again.

I have opened a case with Microsoft again and we'll see if that gets any other response than the usual "stop using VPN services" response.

Is anyone else having issues with the Outlook (win 10 32bit latest version) and TG VPN?

107787_1511348140

OK. issue sorted - microsoft support went through and repaired/replaced some outlook application/system files, and lo & behold, it works again.

the microsoft rep was good value, didn't even suggest the "stop using VPN with Outlook" workaround. 😄

Support
19 hours ago, 107787_1511348140 said:

OK. issue sorted - microsoft support went through and repaired/replaced some outlook application/system files, and lo & behold, it works again.

the microsoft rep was good value, didn't even suggest the "stop using VPN with Outlook" workaround. 😄

Thanks for letting us know :)

107787_1511348140

ummm...yes its still happening. it turns out every time microsoft do something i think its sorted, it keep coming back after a reboot. currently at L3 microsoft support, hasn't hit dev level yet, at least they are taking it seriously.

Support
5 hours ago, 107787_1511348140 said:

ummm...yes its still happening. it turns out every time microsoft do something i think its sorted, it keep coming back after a reboot. currently at L3 microsoft support, hasn't hit dev level yet, at least they are taking it seriously.

I think the real issue is that some shared IP's are blacklisted by mail services and so will likely not work on most services they offer, occasionally you may be rebooting or restart the app and ending up with a different IP that is blacklisted.