TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
Poseidon

Client freezes on connecting (v3.95.0 macOS)

Rate this question

Question

Poseidon

Every time the client is connecting to a server the client freezes for upwards of a minute, the icon in the menu bar also causes a spinning beach ball when hovered over. On it's own this is annoying and it's bad enough that there's a systemwide cut off from the internet for multiple minutes because TorGuard is trying to connect(?) where one would expect a smooth transition that doesn't take you out of the workflow for 5 minutes, since it being a hassle now causes me to not wanna go through the hassle and avoid using my VPN connection. 

It really starts to become a problem, however, when the bugginess of it all causes SystemUIServer to freeze up and the whole menubar and apps that reside in it are unavailable and you're basically forced to reboot since killing SystemUIServer in such a state doesn't spawn a new process.  

Is there a way to prevent this from happening or could it at least be a priority in a future update? The actual service that TorGuard provides (i.e. the servers and the actual VPN connection) are great as far as I'm concerned especially when taking the low cost in consideration but everything beyond the actual technical service feel kinda lacklustre and the client is the main culprit when it comes to that feeling. Am I really left to use a third party VPN client to enjoy these services without hassle? 

Weirdly enough I can't remember it being like this when I started using TorGuard, rather this is something that started happening in the last couple of versions of the client I feel. Anyways I've installed the client on a freshly initialised macbook, I've followed the steps provided here since I thought it might benefit me and it did mitigate the issue somewhat (i.e. instead of it freezing for 3-5 minutes, it's reduced to about 2 minutes give or take). 

But I'd like to see if there's a solution from TorGuard's side and honestly I'm curious if I'm the only one affected by this since I can't seem to find much similar issues here on the forum. My sub is up next month and like I've said, I think the value proposition is very strong with TorGuard when it comes to the actual technical service but where I used to connect to a VPN on the regular multiple times a day in the past, I now tend to avoid going through the hassle for the most time and have barely touched the service in the last months and to me that's a bad sign so if this keeps up I might have to switch to a different VPN provider. I mean it's not like I'm looking for bells and whistles, but the act of connecting should be smooth and easy imho.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet