TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
DaLumberJack

Constant Speed issues with standard VPN & 10Gb premium network

Rate this question

Question

DaLumberJack

Hello everyone,

First, thank you for reading. I tried working with support, but in the end all their suggestions did not help. So I am now turning to all of you for some info and guidance.

To start, I originally had the standard vpn service. Before I switched to the 10Gb premium option, I had the same problems I do now. With the standard vpn service, I typically obtained speeds of 100-120 Mbps down. I tried different local connections (bay area) and I tried all different encryption, both protocols,  and both tunnel types openconnect & openvpn. I did not use a proxy and I tested my situation using a "speed torrent" that is a open legal torrent shared to see how connectable / fast you are. Link is here: http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/

When not using VPN, I get full saturation of my connection, 400Mbps down consistently. I know I may not hit my full d/l speed when using a vpn, I'm no fool. I do feel however I should be able to obtain better speeds than what I am experiencing now. The issue above is why I switched to the 10Gb premium network. My thought was maybe it was the VPN not being able to provide the speeds it claimed or the servers I was connecting to that are local to me were super saturated. 

Unfortunately, I experience the same speed issues with the 10Gb network. I communicated with support a few times and I'll post what they said to try below. The suggestions they made did not help me in regards to my speed issue:

"What speeds are you seeing over vpn on speedtest.net please, connect using UDP port/auth 995 cipher AES-128-GCM and using tunnel type openconenct for comparison, also do you use socks5 proxy on Qbittorrent before vpn ?

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards

TorGuard Advanced Support"

"Hi Anthony - speeds can fluctuate on both our service but more so on torrents, it all depends on the quality of the seeds, have you tried tunning the 1bitorrent settings? are you using TCP or UDP? TCP is normally best when using torrents.

Kind Regards

"You can try open a port, when using a VPN you are not as connectable as without a VPN.

Please make the request here from within your account area Services --> My Services --> Manage >> Request Port Forward

Before making the request you would normally connect to the location you want and then visit iplocation.net and enter this IP that it shows you, we would suggest doing some speed tests and finding the right server for you first.

Once the request is in you will receive a port forward activation email, follow the instruction sent in this to connect to your port forward IP and remember when testing the port, make sure that the software or service is running and using the port you want to open.

Kind Regards

This last recommendation I did do. But, even after opening a port nothing changed. However, I am not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to vpn and network characteristics, so I may not be either opening the right port or applying the correct setting to the torguard app or my router (if needed for the open port). 

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate your time and comments. 

Info if needed:

Running Windows 10

connection: 400 / 25 Mbps

Running torguard desktop software. Not installed on my router at this time

Using Qbittorrent

1 answer to this question

klepp0906

you can tell if you opened the port properly by starting a download in qbittorrent and watching the status bar on the bottom.  if the symbol is red - no bueno.  if its orange (it will be at first) but if it stays that way, no bueno.  Has to become green.   If its green your fully connectable aka ports are open properly.

can also go to canyouseeme to check your port, but something has to be connecting to it for it to detect as open so make sure you have torrent running when you do.

Also if your not connected to vpn, but your torrent client is open.  Need to close it, and re open it after youve connected to the vpn.