TorGuard

help needed for Utorrent Settings

Rate this question

Question

Hello there,

Which method should I use to setup the Torrent Proxy with Utorrent?

1) The settings as provided by the Torrent Proxy installer or

2) The method provided in the Knowledgebase "How to setup Torrent Proxy with utorrent/Bittorrent"?

If I use the second method do all the boxes under Preferences> Connection need to be ticked?

Also do I need to run the VPN whilst downloading?

- when I enable it it seems to cause problems connecting to peers?

Please excuse my ignorance this is all very new to me.

Thanks in advance.

Using Utorrent 3.3.2 with Windows 7

11 answers to this question

First off, is navigating around this forum always this slow?

Anyway, I'm with you on this. I have a little experience dealing with proxies and the such, but I find the directions listed here for setting up the torrent proxy with utorrent somewhat confusing and incomplete. How do I know if Torguard proxy is even working? In another video they talk about downloading and installing

deluge. I can't even find that file to download or why I even need it. I download the check my torrent isp and it says a different one than mine, but how do I know if that is what the public sees?

I need a step by step guide. I'm not as smart as I look.

Hi Bill,

I was told this:

*I apologise in advance for the basic breakdown of it. I just want to make sure any noobs like me will be able to understand.*

Method 1 works better

If you subscribed to the Torrent Proxy, login to your account and go to My Downloads.

Click on TorGuard Torrent Proxy Setup and download it.

Close any torrent software you are using and then start Torguard Proxy.

Enter your login details (the ones selected at the time the item was added to your cart).

Select the torrent software you are using and click apply settings.

Start your torrent software and all should be good.

Now to see if it is working I used http://checkmytorrentip.com/#.

I click on Generate torrent and you get a personal torrent to download. It does not actually download anything per se, it is for your eyes only.

Now click on Check IP and give it a minute and click Refresh. An IP address should appear on screen, along with the country said IP address is located in. As long as that IP address is NOT your actual genuine IP address, then it is working.

The IP address shown at the bottom, next to the Refresh button shows the current IP address your PC is transmitting.

Hope that helps

P.S. Try not to use the VPN when you are using the proxy, if you connect to a VPN server that does not support socks5 or torrents the proxy will stop working. Use one or the other :)

Hi,

I did this; https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=12, but when viewing the how-to video, the IP-adress pasted into proxy: was an actual IP-adress, the method I followed gave me this to paste in: proxy.torguard.tg. When checking if the proxy torguard works by downloading the IP-checker to utorrent, all i get is 'proxy connection error' and then utorrent attempts to update the proxy connection but never manages. What's wrong? windows 8.1 and utorrent using torguard.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hi

P.S. Try not to use the VPN when you are using the proxy, if you connect to a VPN server that does not support socks5 or torrents the proxy will stop working. Use one or the other :)

I thought the idea was to use them together - after all, the combined price discount suggests that, I'd say. So it seems I have bought two incompatible products, or what is going on?

I thought the idea was to use them together - after all, the combined price discount suggests that, I'd say. So it seems I have bought two incompatible products, or what is going on?

Well I couldn't give you an exact answer I'm just relaying information passed on to me.

Hi Joakim

Sorry for the delay, if you run the following, does it report back one of our socks5 servers ?

http://torguard.net/checkmytorrentipaddress.php

Regards

this is exactly what I did, as I mentioned in my post, the file for checking if my IP-adress is safe still shows 'proxy connection error'. Has it got to do with the IP-adress I was told to type in? this is it: proxy.torguard.tg.

Hello Joakim

Please set your OS DNS to static DNS this should fix the proxy connect errors you are receiving.

@spumantastic

They both will work together if you are using a VPN server that also supports socks5 but if the VPN server you are running is one that doesn't support socks5 then a port will need to be open. You can request that on our support desk.

Regards