TorGuard
lva

Has TorGuard considered a Warrant Canary?

Rate this question

Question

lva

Being TorGuard is located in the United States, they are open to potential monitoring of traffic by way of a warrant. I would feel much better being able to check a daily Warrant Canary document to verify TorGuard has not been compromised. I'm not sure how much work actually goes into uploading and maintaining a warrant canary, but with the size and customer base of TorGuard, it should be a no brainer.

I spoke with someone via chat a bit ago and their responses were a bit scary and simply that "TorGuard does not log and it's not possible for authorities to monitor traffic". That's completely and utterly incorrect. With a proper warrant, they can monitor without any third party consent. In short, they can require TorGuard to begin logging without customer knowledge.

I've searched and haven't seen anything regarding a Warrant Canary. If there is one already, please point me in that direction. However, as I said, being a VPN in the United States, I beg of you to begin the process.

Here is an article regarding why VPN's should have a Warrant Canary, published by the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

1 answer to this question

klepp0906
On 3/21/2019 at 1:23 AM, lva said:

Being TorGuard is located in the United States, they are open to potential monitoring of traffic by way of a warrant. I would feel much better being able to check a daily Warrant Canary document to verify TorGuard has not been compromised. I'm not sure how much work actually goes into uploading and maintaining a warrant canary, but with the size and customer base of TorGuard, it should be a no brainer.

I spoke with someone via chat a bit ago and their responses were a bit scary and simply that "TorGuard does not log and it's not possible for authorities to monitor traffic". That's completely and utterly incorrect. With a proper warrant, they can monitor without any third party consent. In short, they can require TorGuard to begin logging without customer knowledge.

I've searched and haven't seen anything regarding a Warrant Canary. If there is one already, please point me in that direction. However, as I said, being a VPN in the United States, I beg of you to begin the process.

Here is an article regarding why VPN's should have a Warrant Canary, published by the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

I always wondered about this myself.  Without some further protection, or them moving out of the US - one could argue we're potentially paying for nothing.