TorGuard
lva

Has TorGuard considered a Warrant Canary?

Rate this question

Question

lva

Being TorGuard is located in the United States, they are open to potential monitoring of traffic by way of a warrant. I would feel much better being able to check a daily Warrant Canary document to verify TorGuard has not been compromised. I'm not sure how much work actually goes into uploading and maintaining a warrant canary, but with the size and customer base of TorGuard, it should be a no brainer.

I spoke with someone via chat a bit ago and their responses were a bit scary and simply that "TorGuard does not log and it's not possible for authorities to monitor traffic". That's completely and utterly incorrect. With a proper warrant, they can monitor without any third party consent. In short, they can require TorGuard to begin logging without customer knowledge.

I've searched and haven't seen anything regarding a Warrant Canary. If there is one already, please point me in that direction. However, as I said, being a VPN in the United States, I beg of you to begin the process.

Here is an article regarding why VPN's should have a Warrant Canary, published by the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

11 answers to this question

klepp0906
On 3/21/2019 at 1:23 AM, lva said:

Being TorGuard is located in the United States, they are open to potential monitoring of traffic by way of a warrant. I would feel much better being able to check a daily Warrant Canary document to verify TorGuard has not been compromised. I'm not sure how much work actually goes into uploading and maintaining a warrant canary, but with the size and customer base of TorGuard, it should be a no brainer.

I spoke with someone via chat a bit ago and their responses were a bit scary and simply that "TorGuard does not log and it's not possible for authorities to monitor traffic". That's completely and utterly incorrect. With a proper warrant, they can monitor without any third party consent. In short, they can require TorGuard to begin logging without customer knowledge.

I've searched and haven't seen anything regarding a Warrant Canary. If there is one already, please point me in that direction. However, as I said, being a VPN in the United States, I beg of you to begin the process.

Here is an article regarding why VPN's should have a Warrant Canary, published by the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

I always wondered about this myself.  Without some further protection, or them moving out of the US - one could argue we're potentially paying for nothing. 

Radd

this actually seems like an important issue, therefore this thread shouldn't just die off ....   an official comment from TG would be appreciated ....  all the VPN in the world ain't gonna save ya when the law come a knockin, but a little bit of prevention will

balexter

bump.

common TG devs/staff, make a statement and answer this important question!

Poofy

this is an actual important issue.

does TorGuard has Warrant Canary ?

Poofy

and i've just saw this link :

https://thebestvpn.com/

which is saying that TorGuard is with 5 eyes jurisdiction sharing data .

which will anonymously share users data with (United States, United Kingdom, Australia,Canada, and New Zealand)

🙄😐😡

balexter

I second the OP! A canary should have been installed long ago.

Taking the location TG is operating from and its huge user base this should be a no brainer.

Please make the canary happen.

107787_1511348140

another vote for the canary!

this is core to TG's value proposition, so also think this request is a no-brainer.

JoPe

I'd also like an official response. 

A canary would be a logical move now. 

Marco

Can any TG official rep comment on this? Will you consider this or if not, why so?

Parsley

I agree as well, such an issue is really important. As much as i enjoy using torguard, I'm sure privacy takes a higher priority. 

molitar

Yeah would like to know all this time why there is no word.  I know many of us are getting concerned that they are in the 5EYES then the lack of a Warrant Canary to help protect us does not help.