TorGuard
Narcoleptic_Rage

Error opening file for writing.

Rate this topic

Narcoleptic_Rage

I am unable to install any version of the TorGuard software since the software requested an update. Now I am without a VPN.

Screenshot (17).png

Sparky1847

Same issue here. Stuck without a VPN now

Support
8 hours ago, Narcoleptic_Rage said:

I am unable to install any version of the TorGuard software since the software requested an update. Now I am without a VPN.

Screenshot (17).png

5 hours ago, Sparky1847 said:

Same issue here. Stuck without a VPN now

This is normally always caused by security software, please disable it temporarily or try to whitelist the TG app

Regards

Narcoleptic_Rage
8 hours ago, Support said:

This is normally always caused by security software, please disable it temporarily or try to whitelist the TG app

Regards

I tried what you suggested since it is almost always the cause of such problems but it didn't work.

I found that it is a Windows 10 bug that strips the user account of administrative privileges during its update. The workaround is to create a second Windows Live administrator account & to run the install from there. When this is done the administrative privileges are returned to the original account.

Basic

I solved that problem just now. All I had to do is install it to a new hard drive. It should work after that.

nedyal

I have had the same issue. Disabling antivirus has not helped. However my version 3.93 opens on every restart. Any other options besides installing on another hard-drive or creating a second Live Administrator?

Narcoleptic_Rage
2 hours ago, nedyal said:

I have had the same issue. Disabling antivirus has not helped. However my version 3.93 opens on every restart. Any other options besides installing on another hard-drive or creating a second Live Administrator?

I haven't actually tried this with TorGuard in particular but I have used to resolve a myriad of issues since due to the Windows 10 build updates working in a very similar way to reinstalling a fresh copy of the OS over the old one. What can happen in these situations is that all files & folders or even entire drives have the owners renamed as random babble, which is then classified as an unknown owner or <administrator> which then causes all sorts of problems across the board with bugs, crashes, failed starts & broken updates.

If you can track down all the files & folders that are associated with the problem software you can regain control as the owner by following the steps in the video provided. In my opinion, finding the files & folders associated to the issue you're trying to fix is probably the hardest part of the whole process.

I have had a 100% success rate using this technique on many programs but I haven't actually been presented with a situation where I have had to use it on TorGuard in particular since the incident I posted here but I do hope that it helps you out as an alternative method.

I only offer one word of caution & that is to not do this on the entire drive on which Windows 10 is installed or any of its system folders because you can strip the OS's administrative privileges which will hinder the computers ability to function or even start to get regular blue screens & to do this on any other drive will corrupt the recycle bins but they can be easily refreshed although anything that was in there has been pretty much lost forever.

dude99

got the same error--->restarted my pc--->update was running fine , now.