TorGuard
CyberWar

(SOLVED) torguard client (400 Mb down) vs pfsense firewall (70 Mb down)

Rate this question

Question

CyberWar

Hopefully someone out there can help me figure this out. When I use the Windows torguard client on my desktop or laptop I have no problems getting over 400Mb download. The issue is when I configure a firewall, pfsense or untangle, I only average 70 Mb down. I have attached a screenshot of my speedtest connected to the Frankfurt server using the Windows torguard client.

Torguard client configured with:

Tunnel type: OpenVpn
Protocol: UDP
Cipher: AES-256-GCM
HMAC: SHA256

The firewall I'm testing is not virtualized, it's an old dell optiplex with an i5 and 8 GB of ram. I'm sure that's enough to handle the VPN. 

torguard.JPG

5 answers to this question

CyberWar

Update:

I added this to the custom options on my pfsense and got the speed up to 200Mb, just need another 200 to match the TG client.

fast-io
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288

CyberWar

Another update:

I power cycled the modem and firewall and now I'm consistently getting over 400Mb down. I'm happy now.   

firewall.PNG

fast.PNG

Geazer72

Thanks for those options

fast-io
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288

These doubled the speed of my pfsense openvpn tunnels

puma99dk|

Thank you for the values under advanced options this brings my download from 15Mbit to 80Mbit even upload says the same at 50Mbit.

I started out with AES-256-GCM | SHA 256 and now AES-128-GCM | SHA1 but I see the exact same speeds shouldn't I be able to reach higher on AES-128-GCM | SHA1 than AES-256-GCM | SHA256?

I am running PFSense 2.4.4-p2 of a PC Engines apu2c4 = 3 i210AT LAN / AMD GX-412TC CPU / 4 GB DRAM (superseded) Link: https://pcengines.ch/apu2c4.htm

If anyone knows a trick to get me 200Mbit down and up I will be happy this AMD quad-core machine should be able to do it.

LaUs3r

thx for your replies. This fixed the same issue I had with my 200MBit-Cable connection.

After switching from TCP to UDP and adding the mentioned lines to the VPN-config, my speed went from 30MBit to 180MBit which is acceptable for me.