TorGuard
klepp0906

Trouble with ping and packet loss when connected to VPN

Rate this question

Question

klepp0906

So this was never a problem.  Depending on what i was doing, I got a marginally worse ~3ms or marginally better ping using the chicago server with torguard.

As of a few days back (at least thats when i noticed) ive begun to get a ping on the order of 15-25ms worse than its ever been.  same server.

So i ran pingplotter and low and behold, the first hop is showing 100% packetloss which i imagine would do it.

anyone from support able to hop in and help?  

Im running the newest version of torguard with the 9.0.0.22 tap9 driver.

22 answers to this question

Support

Hi Klepp

To debug the issue I would advise opening a support ticket https://torguard.net/submitticket.php mentioning this forum thread - if you can post a bi-directional MTR this would also be helpful, so connect to the VPN where you have problems and run an MTR towards your ISP, then disconnect and run an MTR back to the IP you had just been connected to.

Regards

klepp0906

still dealing with this.  throughput is fine, exactly where id expect/has been.  Ping still in the gutter and undoubtedly related to the first hop coming back with tons of packet loss right?

Support
1 hour ago, klepp0906 said:

still dealing with this.  throughput is fine, exactly where id expect/has been.  Ping still in the gutter and undoubtedly related to the first hop coming back with tons of packet loss right?

Please see my above reply  - thanks

Ralph123

I've also noticed the increased latency (about 20 ms worse) on the Chicago server the past week. Were some type of changes made? Is this going to get fixed? I chose Torguard as my VPN because it had previously provided the best latency. 

Support
6 hours ago, Ralph123 said:

I've also noticed the increased latency (about 20 ms worse) on the Chicago server the past week. Were some type of changes made? Is this going to get fixed? I chose Torguard as my VPN because it had previously provided the best latency. 

Hi Ralph - we know an issue and we are working with the DC to sort this out ASAP.

Regards

klepp0906

thats good to know.  at least i know the ping will be going back to where it was (hopefully).

I imagine the packet loss and ping issue arent related then? Since all my packet loss is at hop 1 (the vpn's IP)

Not sure if that happens before the router/after the router or what.  (a little beyond my depth)

Also somehow missed your reply about opening a ticket, so i'll get some log data together and do just that.

klepp0906
On 3/1/2019 at 4:35 AM, Support said:

Hi Ralph - we know an issue and we are working with the DC to sort this out ASAP.

Regards

Just out of curiosity, whats a DC?

Ralph123

Any ETA when this will be fixed? 

klepp0906

ive been in touch with support and they said theyre "well aware" and have provided some winMTR data to assist.  Hopefully soon, but so long as theyre aware #shrug.  They seem to be quite good around here so i imagine it'll be fixed as quickly as it can be. 

klepp0906

any update on this or are we at the mercy of the DC people in chicago? 

Ralph123

This is still an issue. This is getting ridiculous at this point. 

Support

Hey guys, as the vast majority of users are not experiencing such issues we require some more bi-directional MTR info (the DC requires this to make any needed changes).

Could you please open a. ticket at https://torguard.net/submitticket.php and provide the below info for those of you still having such issues:

1) MTR whilst connected to Chicago VPN back to your ISP IP

2) MTR whilst OFF VPN back to the Chicago IP you where previously connected to

This will help us resolve this much faster.

Regards

klepp0906

do you need me to resubmit more of mine, or are you talking about people other than me since I already did the aforementioned?

probably a bad channel to request MTR's seeing as the forums dont seem super active.  You guys knew about this before I even brought it up, yet there wasnt anything on the forums so I can only presume people were submitting tickets or something.  

Perhaps ask via that medium?  Stress it wont be fixed unless they comply :P

Shame, as it took torguard from amazing, to just another VPN (for me) atm.  

Ralph, are you in the northeastern/midwest US?  I assume if its only affecting some folks, its due to locale and the route or some such.

I know diddly about these things, but how about undoing what they did a month or so back - problem solved? /s

Support
15 hours ago, klepp0906 said:

do you need me to resubmit more of mine, or are you talking about people other than me since I already did the aforementioned?

probably a bad channel to request MTR's seeing as the forums dont seem super active.  You guys knew about this before I even brought it up, yet there wasnt anything on the forums so I can only presume people were submitting tickets or something.  

Perhaps ask via that medium?  Stress it wont be fixed unless they comply :P

Shame, as it took torguard from amazing, to just another VPN (for me) atm.  

Ralph, are you in the northeastern/midwest US?  I assume if its only affecting some folks, its due to locale and the route or some such.

I know diddly about these things, but how about undoing what they did a month or so back - problem solved? /s

Klepp - we have had some MTR's from folks, would you care to share your own with me if you are seeing the problem? if you could open a support ticket https://torguard.net/submitticket.php and post your MTR's referencing this topic i will get this submitted to the network guys and the guys at the Dc in question to check them out.

Regards

klepp0906

yea I already submitted them, and someone named "andy" iirc went through them and said that we have to wait it out (on the dc ppl).  Ill see if i can dig them back up, if not ill run some more. 

klepp0906

Ok, i got them dug up and zipped back up.   So to be clear before i do so, you want me to create ANOTHER support ticket about the issue and RE submit the mtrs again?

Support

Either that or just send them directly to sysadmin(at)torguard.net and ref this thread.

Regards

klepp0906

email sent :)

klepp0906

any word or update on this?  couldnt guess how long these things take - but I dont wanna keep high hopes if this is gonna be the new normal.  a 20ms difference isnt a lot for some things, but will change the way I use the vpn for sure. 

klepp0906

i assume support is lurking, and im sure its already been ascertained based on the onslaught of posts i found and thus replied/bumped - but just in case im wrong, and to keep everything in one place..

i signed up for the 10g at least partially in attempt to circumvent this issue.

It did.  My ping is now EXACTLY what it was to chicago on the standard servers.  

I'm not sure if thats helpful to you guys or the DC guys or whatnot, but evidently something changed in the routing for the vanilla chicago servers, that did not on the 10g chicago server.

Perhaps that can help track down the issue.   I dont intend to keep the 10g service but id certainly like the ping times to drop back to normal on the non 10g ones. 

klepp0906

whelp, not sure if my prior post helped point anything anywhere or its merely coincidence - but it seems the ping on the standard shared servers is resolved.   Getting exactly what I was prior to things hitting the fan.

Excellent and happy :)

Support
33 minutes ago, klepp0906 said:

whelp, not sure if my prior post helped point anything anywhere or its merely coincidence - but it seems the ping on the standard shared servers is resolved.   Getting exactly what I was prior to things hitting the fan.

Excellent and happy :)

It seems to have been resolved now, took them a while but some things are outwith there control.

Regards