TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
Ulfrinn

make deluge or transmission only work through VPN

Rate this topic

Ulfrinn

so, i have torguard set to work in two ways, first is with the application, which isnt preferably because i prefer to not run third party software if it can be avoided, so the way i prefer to run it, and the way i am running it currently is through windows 10 build in VPN setup, ive added a few servers already, static IP, and the DNS servers shown on my account, and it works

so, for the torrent related stuff i have binded utorrent to the local IP address i made static, but when the connection is dropped, the test torrent (in this case LMDE3 linux) continues to download, or will download when the torrent client is restarted.. disabling bandwidth management (uTP) solved that issue, so the utorrent client works perfectly

however, i do not like the utorrent client, i stopped using it years ago because it becomes more and more bloated, and as someone who regularly uses linux, i've come to prefer deluge or transmission and i would like to get those to work too, transmission, but i know of no way to bind transmission to an IP address, and if i could, the issue i had with utorrent above with the broadband management may still be an issue.. with deluge, i can bind the IP, but like utorrent with broadband management enabled, it still downloads, and i do not know of a relevant setting in deluge that i can use

is there any fix to deluge or transmission? or will i be stuck with the ugly, bloated interface of utorrent?

Ulfrinn

hmm, i think i actually got transmission to work properly, i had to go into the appdata folder, local, transmission, open the settings.json file, and add the line    "bind-address-ipv4": "0.0.0.0",  with 0.0.0.0 being the local IP address i wish to use and it doesn't seem like transmission has any kind of bandwidth management protocol that screws things up like utorrents.. so with that line added to that text file, transmission isn't leaking what so ever (tested with "check my torrent IP" here on torguard), and if i forget to turn the VPN on, or the connection drops, it immediately drops all peers

i started trying out qbtorrent though.. honestly, the interface is as clean as deluge, seems like a lightweight enough application, not a lot of bloat and crap i dont want to see like "buy the pro version" and ads, and its fully featured.. better yet i don't even need to set a static IP with it, just the interface name of the VPN saved with the windows VPN setup.. nothing else needed really and its good to go

so my solution, im just going to use qbtorrent going forward.. deluge hasnt been updated in like years, nothing i do seems to work here, utorrent is too bloated and too much begging me to pay for it.. so ive uninstalled all other torrent software, and i'll just use qbtorrent