TorGuard
Allknowingeye

SlingTV from California IP

Rate this question

Question

Allknowingeye

I just noticed today that trying open to Sling.com in a web browser from a California Streaming IP gets a notice that you must be in the US. Am I the only one seeing this. Not having an issue with anything else.

16 answers to this question

Allknowingeye

Did a little more checking, looks like only affects Windows Devices. IOS devices were not blocked. I assume Window is leaking something. I have disabled IP6 on the network adapter and coded Chrome to a fixed location in the U.S. Any other ideas on getting Windows to stop leaking geolocation?

Allknowingeye

I tried setting the browser geolocation services off (4 different browsers). I cleared all windows account location data and disabled WIndows location services, and set a Windows default location in the U.S. So I am mystified, Sling logon from Windows worked two day ago but I guess they made a change. I have tried every setting I know on the wan/vpn side to suppress location data and prevent leaking. It's not the end of the world but it is curious and I would kinda like to have a better idea how they are detecting this.

john1
14 hours ago, Allknowingeye said:

I just noticed today that trying open to Sling.com in a web browser from a California Streaming IP gets a notice that you must be in the US. Am I the only one seeing this. Not having an issue with anything else.

Check here https://torguard.net/whats-my-ip.php and make sure none of the directories have you overseas.

Allknowingeye

It is all clear on the Torguard what's my ip page. Sling seems to be looking at something new that only affects Windows.

john1
5 hours ago, Allknowingeye said:

It is all clear on the Torguard what's my ip page. Sling seems to be looking at something new that only affects Windows.

I Had a Problem with a California streaming IP where one of the directories showed it coming from Moscow. It still shows up that way. Enter 38.111.145.203 at   https://www.iplocation.net/.  I'm now using New York and have no issues with Sling.

Xentrk

I also started having issues with the sling.com website only when using LA.  Only the website was affected. No impact to streaming. I changed to NY and the problem went away. Later in the week, the LA server was reported as being in a foreign country from one of the sites that allows you to lookup your IP address. Perhaps that is what has been causing the issue. I think that may be the issue as I have had this problem in the past with other sites. I will keep monitoring and report back. But this sounds like the best explanation for the issue.

Allknowingeye

Agree completely with that. I do see it affecting apps like CBS News, Fox News as well on the Apple Tv, suspect they are getting confused as to the local. The company should be submitting those IP spaces so the geolocation is locked down, after all that is the whole point of the service. Without a reliable geolocation it is usefulness is significantly compromised.

Allknowingeye
On 1/29/2019 at 12:56 AM, john1 said:

I Had a Problem with a California streaming IP where one of the directories showed it coming from Moscow. It still shows up that way. Enter 38.111.145.203 at   https://www.iplocation.net/.  I'm now using New York and have no issues with Sling.

Today it says Houston, Texas, Washington, D.C. and Oakland California. Tracert shows the correct location is Oakland, California.

john1
19 minutes ago, Allknowingeye said:

Today it says Houston, Texas, Washington, D.C. and Oakland California. Tracert shows the correct location is Oakland, California.

My New York IP shows only New York.

Allknowingeye

Interesting. Maybe I should switch. I choose California because the teams I want to see on Hulu Live are there. And Hulu live does work there. But I would rather not have to deal with extra baloney.

Allknowingeye

I tried that one on the address they gave me, and it said the below, maybe this is the real reason Sling is blocking (HULU is ok though).

Fraud Score 65 - Suspicious 
Fraud Scores are enhanced by passing additional details through our API and CSV batch checks.
Mail SPAM Block List  No SPAM Reports Found
Proxy/VPN Detection  Proxy/VPN Detected 
This IP address appears to be a proxy connection.
City San Diego
Region

California

Xentrk

On my Windows 10 laptop, I only have issues with the Sling.com website when using Firefox or Firefox Nightly.  MS Edge and Chrome no problems. I am still able to route SlingTV traffic to different server locations with no issues though. It is just the sling.com website itself when using Firefox on my Windows 10 laptop.  The sling.com website on the Firefox browser on my iPad works fine. When the issue first started occurring, it happened on all browsers. I don't have the issue when using my Asuswrt-Merlin firmware router and route all traffic from my Windows 10 laptop to a VPN tunnel.  I use the Asus router as a backup and write programs on it.  My primary router is pfSense and that is where I am having the issue.

In case you are interested, I determined the following domains are being used on the sling.com website. 

sling.com, slingtv.com, help.sling.com, tags.tiqcdn.com, cart.sling.com, whatson.sling.com, news.sling.com

Xentrk

If you are interested, I maintain a list of IPv4 addresses for SlingTV on my GitHub page https://github.com/Xentrk/Asuswrt-Merlin-Selective-Routing

There are two lists for SlingTV.  You need both of them for it to work.  I use the lists on both pfSense and Asuswrt-Merlin.  Move Networks is the primary source for SlingTV https://bgp.he.net/AS35873

I had to harvest some other IP addresses using the IPSET feature of dnsmasq on Asuswrt-Merlin to collect a few others.   

Xentrk

sling.com website has been working using Firefox now when connected to LA server for the past 12 plus hours or so. The current IP address of the server is is 67.215.236.106.  I'll keep checking periodically and post my results.   

uNc

I use Oakland residential IP on a Macbook and an Asus router with Merlin f/w and have no issues with Sling tv, PS-vue, Netflix, etc. I use a VPN Client called Shimo to connect to TG on the mac but have not tried Sling using the TG desktop app.