TorGuard
Cathy

Starts fast, then slows to a crawl

Rate this topic

I have a 25mbps connection that usually runs about 20mbps. Torguard has been great so far. In the last 2 days, when I run Torguard, it starts out around 12-14mbps, then in 5 minutes, it goes down to 1 or less. What is the issue here? I've connected to all servers in the US. Have tried a combination of different settings. Rebooted router and pc. Still the same. Hey... I know it's slow, but up until 2 weeks ago, I had a whopping 6mbps connection, so 25 is great! lol

What router are you using? Not all are 100% happy with sustained VPN traffic for a prolonged period. Sounds nuts but it's true.

Aside from that, checked your network settings are all kosher? What are you using, wifi or ethernet? Have you tried connecting on different protocols in the client? Initial fast speed then gradual slowdown is sometimes a symptom of ISP traffic shaping.

I'm using a Netgear router. The settings must be ok because Torguard worked fine until Monday night. It would be slow occasionally, but for the most part, it was fine. I've connected on every imaginable setup and have tried both ethernet and wifi. It's actually faster on wifi, which makes NO sense... lol I just was wondering if my isp has some new magical thing that would cause this because it happened so suddenly. My isp is my ONLY option, so changing that is not an option.

It may be. ISPs usually possess equipment which enables them to analyse what protocols and types of traffic are travelling over your connection, and keep count of the cumulative throughput. It may be that your ISP has a Fair Usage Policy regarding the total amount of bandwidth you're permitted to use at maximum speed before your speed is reduced. In the UK Virgin Media (the cable ISP) did this for many years using the Cisco Subscriber Traffic Management (STM) system, and many customers who used to be heavier users were quickly reduced to a quarter of their speeds for hours. With other ISPs, they can choose to more gradually restrict the amount of throughput achievable on a connection. Other ISPs can do this entirely dynamically dependent on network contention.

However, that's a worst-case scenario. It may be that your ethernet adapter is either misconfigured or running older drivers. Failing that, it may be the Netgear router.

You're running the latest TorGuard client? What settings are you using to connect in the TorGuard client? Have you ever altered any of the network adapter advanced settings, either on your ethernet adapter or the TorGuard VPN adapter?

What model is the router? Some are not always able to cope with sustained VPN traffic throughput at higher speeds. Are you running any QoS on the router? Have you upgraded or downgraded the router firmware recently?

I meant to reply, but lost the link. After 4 days of slow connections, Torguard finally straightened up and now I connect like I did before. I have no clue what the problem was, but sure hope it doesn't happen again. Thanks for the feedback.