TorGuard
stormdragon

Very slow download speed

Rate this question

Question

stormdragon

I have been noticing that my download speeds have been brutally slow when using TorGuard version 3.90.0 on my Windows 10 machine.

Without running it, on both http://www.speedtest.net/ and  https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ I will get about 130+ Mbps download. However, when I use TorGuard and connect to various servers such as Germany, Canada - Vancouver, Canada - Toronto, USA - Seattle, USA - San Francisco I will get about 20 Mbps or less.

I have tried to set different things such as:

- Tunnel Type: OpenVPN

- Protocol: UDP and TCP

- Port / Auth: Auto

- Cipher: AES-128-CBC and AES-256-CBC

- STunnel: unchecked

- Proxy: Direct connection (no proxy)

Network settings

image.png.3ca21e24778fc8eb71ea6839e1e80d19.png

When I tried to use a Tunnel Type of OpenConnect I will get a download speed of about 10-12 Mbps.

As a side note I am also running Kaspersky Free AV. I had turned it off for the testing so I don't think it is a factor in this because again if I leave it on but turn off the VPN my speeds are back to the expected high levels.

Are there other configurations I could do? Is there any other information I can supply which will assist in debugging this?

EODCrafter

😣 Any other Ideas? I'll try it with the Installer just to give the benefit of the doubt.

Capture.PNG

EODCrafter

It's a little Better but not gonna cut it with Streaming IPTV....Trust me, I'm the one who is sorry...I was really hoping this would work. :(

image.png

117211_1511348143

Try a different server perhaps or use the client and see if theres any differences.  The client uses openvpn too.

Ive found some servers are bad for me, see your latency of 200ms?

ALSO TRY TCP... 

• Like 1

EODCrafter

And once again, Here is PIA.......

image.png

EODCrafter

I have some time to Play with it...Thanks. But it's my Houses only TV Service so I can't have those Download Speeds.

• Sad 1

EODCrafter

Getting Better, this is Miami, but I don't have the Port forwarded on that IP. Those Speeds (if consistent) would probably work, but it's still real bad for a VPN to lose that much. 

image.png

117211_1511348143

When I was looking at the configs  I saw that a lot of their config files say  NO-TORRENTS in the string... ugh... now I have to use a dialup in Canada???  WTH

Seems like it doesnt matter according to this thread.  I saw no speed issues but I'll see how toronto works for me.

• Sad 1

EODCrafter
5 minutes ago, 117211_1511348143 said:

When I was looking at the configs  I saw that a lot of their config files say  NO-TORRENTS in the string... ugh... now I have to use a dialup in Canada???  WTH

I'm not a salesman, but if you don't have to forward Ports as with a Media Player, I would go with PIA...I hope TorGuard improves this.

EODCrafter

My Guess is Atlanta is a Cogent Service, I once Streamed IPTV from a Seller that used Cogent Network because they are cheap but it wasn't very reliable.

• Thanks 1