TorGuard
stormdragon

Very slow download speed

Rate this question

Question

I have been noticing that my download speeds have been brutally slow when using TorGuard version 3.90.0 on my Windows 10 machine.

Without running it, on both http://www.speedtest.net/ and  https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ I will get about 130+ Mbps download. However, when I use TorGuard and connect to various servers such as Germany, Canada - Vancouver, Canada - Toronto, USA - Seattle, USA - San Francisco I will get about 20 Mbps or less.

I have tried to set different things such as:

- Tunnel Type: OpenVPN

- Protocol: UDP and TCP

- Port / Auth: Auto

- Cipher: AES-128-CBC and AES-256-CBC

- STunnel: unchecked

- Proxy: Direct connection (no proxy)

Network settings

image.png.3ca21e24778fc8eb71ea6839e1e80d19.png

When I tried to use a Tunnel Type of OpenConnect I will get a download speed of about 10-12 Mbps.

As a side note I am also running Kaspersky Free AV. I had turned it off for the testing so I don't think it is a factor in this because again if I leave it on but turn off the VPN my speeds are back to the expected high levels.

Are there other configurations I could do? Is there any other information I can supply which will assist in debugging this?

15 answers to this question

I've been getting slow speeds too for about 2 days so far.  It's at most 12 Mbit like you are seeing and I tried 4 different locations with varying settings (openconnect , openvpn, different ports etc).  My line goes to 50mbit easily though.

TG is either throttling or has an issue and is working on it????????

On 1/12/2019 at 5:49 PM, stormdragon said:

I have been noticing that my download speeds have been brutally slow when using TorGuard version 3.90.0 on my Windows 10 machine.

Without running it, on both http://www.speedtest.net/ and  https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ I will get about 130+ Mbps download. However, when I use TorGuard and connect to various servers such as Germany, Canada - Vancouver, Canada - Toronto, USA - Seattle, USA - San Francisco I will get about 20 Mbps or less.

I have tried to set different things such as:

- Tunnel Type: OpenVPN

- Protocol: UDP and TCP

- Port / Auth: Auto

- Cipher: AES-128-CBC and AES-256-CBC

- STunnel: unchecked

- Proxy: Direct connection (no proxy)

Network settings

image.png.3ca21e24778fc8eb71ea6839e1e80d19.png

When I tried to use a Tunnel Type of OpenConnect I will get a download speed of about 10-12 Mbps.

As a side note I am also running Kaspersky Free AV. I had turned it off for the testing so I don't think it is a factor in this because again if I leave it on but turn off the VPN my speeds are back to the expected high levels.

Are there other configurations I could do? Is there any other information I can supply which will assist in debugging this?

We certainly do not throttle so you can rule out that - Kaspersky is known to cause some major slowdowns with various VPN's, just disabling its features has no effect on this, you need to uninstall it, reboot, then retest the VPN, can you do that and let me know if that solves your speed problem?

18 hours ago, 117211_1511348143 said:

I've been getting slow speeds too for about 2 days so far.  It's at most 12 Mbit like you are seeing and I tried 4 different locations with varying settings (openconnect , openvpn, different ports etc).  My line goes to 50mbit easily though.

TG is either throttling or has an issue and is working on it????????

Can you let us know the location or IP you often connect with? and have you tried the standard debugging of rebooting Pc's /modems or routers, often when these run for a long time they can start acting up - it would also be worthwhile trying another device or on another network if you can to try to isolate your problem.

Regards

Speeds have returned.  I just tested 43/43 on my 50/50 line.

I swear since Saturday I was getting at MOST 12mbit, if lucky.

Same test, using speedtest.net on both firefox and chrome as last time.

No reboots, no router reboots.  Odd.

18 hours ago, JessiTom said:

Then is it just temporary global usage increased or Torguard oversells things ?

I haven't had speed issues with them in a long time.  I think maybe just issue with the servers.... maybe some trunk internet lines were iffy.

20 hours ago, JessiTom said:

Then is it just temporary global usage increased or Torguard oversells things ?

Hello,

We have no reported issues on any location just now, sometimes it can be between your ISP and the network your connecting to, these things will always happen from time to time on huge complex networks :)

Regards

4 hours ago, 117211_1511348143 said:

ITS SLOW AGAIN RIGHT NOW..  1/18/2019  3:56 PM

Atlanta, Toronto, New Jersey , New York servers tested.   at most 10 Mbit.  Ping varied depending on server.. 20-70 ms.

What is going on??

I'm not seeing any issues with these locations, no one else seems to be complaining about issues here, all speed tests check out, try rebooting your modem/PC and retest.

Regards

16 minutes ago, Support said:

I'm not seeing any issues with these locations, no one else seems to be complaining about issues here, all speed tests check out, try rebooting your modem/PC and retest.

Regards

Just now, before I went to reboot router, I tested again, got 43/43  (50/50 line).  There was no change, connection has been on for almost 5 hours according to the program and my speed without vpn was always very close to 50/50.  I really doubt it's the router (pfsense)... and it's definitely not the fios line as pfsense monitors for latency on the gateway.

I guess next time I'll have to do a traceroute...

Any other diagnostics that I could run during a slow speed period?

Ok I found a pattern.  Any torrent running, even at 1 or 2 mbps, will make speedtest.net run at less than 10 mbit.

If I stop the torrents, the speed can hit 42 easy.

Issue happens on NY and NJ and Atlanta, whether UDP or TCP.

So it seems like some sort of packet limit or qos.  My cpu is below 10% use.  What logs do you need to diagnose this?

44 minutes ago, 117211_1511348143 said:

Ok I found a pattern.  Any torrent running, even at 1 or 2 mbps, will make speedtest.net run at less than 10 mbit.

If I stop the torrents, the speed can hit 42 easy.

Issue happens on NY and NJ and Atlanta, whether UDP or TCP.

So it seems like some sort of packet limit or qos.  My cpu is below 10% use.  What logs do you need to diagnose this?

Does this only happen through Cogent or with all locations/providers we offer?

It could also very well be your ISP throttling specific ports, we could try setting up an SSH tunnel and configure it in your torrent client or through the TG Client to test this.

Regards

UPDATE!!!   It's the TAP adapter.  By default client installs 9.21 tap adapter.  I tried the 9.9 version offered in setup and no issues.

I don't know why 9.21 is default on Win 7 x64, but it really introduces bad latency when having multiple streams.

Throttling how?  It's the same VPN pipe whether I run speedtest or torrents or both.  It's only slowing down when any torrent is running, slow or fast.

I don't know what is not cogent or not??? the app just lists locations

I tried NY NJ Chicago Miami all with similar behavior.

I tried stunnel on NY and NJ right now with TCP and same issue, even now I set a limit of 88 KB/s (704kbit) on my downloading torrent with 24 seeds and my speedtest barely runs at 2 or 3 mbit with huge ping 100-200+.  Stop the torrent and it runs at full speed 43/43 with 5-10 ping.

I tried cisco connect too on NY and NJ servers with same issue.  Nothing different, despite it using different ports/exe's etc.

Is there a MTU tweak I should run or????   Again, speed test without torrents uploading or downloading shows great speeds.  It seems like the number of connections is what throttles me.

I tried even another test, while on Chicago.  Just pinging to the VPN IP first gateway changes drastically with a torrent running a measely speed that I'm throttling to prove a point.  I even just set the peers down to only 4 and see how slow the pings are... and speed test is slow too .

Why the latency increase when I am not even using 1/10th of my bandwith?  Using a non VPN PC, speed tests fine to 50 mbit and no latency increase.  Speedtest.net from within the VPN PC got 7 mbit down, 2 mbit up during the same conditions of this ping example.

C:\>ping 10.56.0.1

Pinging 10.56.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.56.0.1: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 10.56.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 18ms, Maximum = 18ms, Average = 18ms

When torrent downloading:
C:\>ping 10.56.0.1

Pinging 10.56.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 10.56.0.1: bytes=32 time=467ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.56.0.1: bytes=32 time=638ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.56.0.1: bytes=32 time=589ms TTL=64
Reply from 10.56.0.1: bytes=32 time=531ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 10.56.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 467ms, Maximum = 638ms, Average = 556ms

UPDATE!!!   It's the TAP adapter.  By default client installs 9.21 tap adapter.  I tried the 9.9 version offered in setup and no issues.

I don't know why 9.21 is default on Win 7 x64, but it really introduces bad latency when having multiple streams.

I was working via a support ticket (as I was advised to when I was using the chat) and made a bit of progress.

note: I did get rid of Kaspersky and using Avast instead.

One issue was that my computer uses a wifi USB adapter due to the isolated location of the PC. It was originally in a 2.0 port but once I switched it over to a 3.0 port my speeds did increase. However, I was still getting a fraction of the speed of my non-VPN connection...basically ~25--35 Mbps with the VPN on while ~200-220 Mbps with it off (switching the USB port also increased that as well).

In order to get the ~25-30 Mbps I also switched over to using the OpenConnect / UDP settings. Any others actually drop be back to ~10 Mbps.

I did just try the suggestion around the TAP adapter and did confirm it's the 9.9 driver but it did not seem to allow me to go over 30 Mbps :(  (unless I messed up the re-install somehow)

The thing is I also tested TorGuard on my iPad and it is significantly faster (100+ Mbps)...so the latest communication was that they were suspecting that "this only say there issue on PC level like some app or hardware limitation."