TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
ahassan

Any suggestion for good value router to use it for OpenVPN

Rate this question

Question

Hello,

I currently have Linksys E4200 & E900 . However when i setup the openVPN using tomato/DD-WRT firmwares , i get low speed compared when i use the client on windows for same servers. As i Understood it's because of the low cpu for these routers.

So I was wondering any suggestions for good value router to get, which have better processor with better speed when using the OpenVPN ? 

For example is TP-Link N600 Wireless Dual Band Router [TL-WDR3500] a good upgrade than the one i currently have ?

or it's worth pay more and upgrade for RT-AC86U ? 

or Is there some settings i can do for my current routers to increase the speed ?

this is an example for the speed test using the Windows client & router for OpenVPN for same server & settings

https://imgur.com/6mxryB4

https://imgur.com/CQN0wl0

Thanks in advance

5 answers to this question

Yea using RT-AC86U here, its fast as hell since it has vpn encryption acceleration chip, not all hardware revisions have it though so check that carefully or else the gain will be smaller.

I second this. The 86U is awesome. Flash it with the latest merlin firmware to get more options. And make sure if you set up the vpn client with merlin to use profile 1. This way the vpn encryption will be done by routers CPU core 2 and core one will do the rest. Optimal setting due to OpenVpn being still single threaded.

Hey i am curious a bit about that core 1 core 2 in the router ? What core 1 doing again ? Isnt router supposed to load balance the apps over 2 cores ? Thx

Hi JessiTom,

you are right, normally that would be the case.

The problem is that OpenVPN encryption is single threaded i.e. can use only one CPU core, no matter what. This is also the reason why OpenVPN on routers was/is relatively slow --> CPU is the bottleneck.

What merlin does (among other things) is using the routers CPU core 2 to maintain all "normal" router functions like firewall, routing, MAC access etc etc  and core 1 will focus on encryption.

This way you get the max bandwidth (encryption wise) out of your router.

Otherwise all would be balanced (as you already mentioned).

But mind you, using core 1 solely for encryption works only with merlin firmware (as far as i know) so you need to use an ASUS router.

And when you are at it choose the 86U (strongest CPU in the consumer market right now).

I have seen some speedtests with the 86U and merlin firmware (under optimal environment) that could reach and breach 200MBit encrypted transfer!

And thats a fantastic value.

Also remember to use GCM cipher. it has a better performance. 

if some time goes by I am sure  OpenVPN will be made multithreaded. There is currently a project underway thats called Frivpn that aims to do just that --> making Openvpn able to use more than one core. Just now for linux, hopefully some day for windows.
Maybe soon wireguard will replace OpenVPN....

We will see....

• Thanks 1

You won't go wrong with Netgear R7000. I agree with the balexter, Merlin firmware is the best in my opinion for Openvpn. There is a Merlin port for r7000 called Xwrt-Vortex which gives you the functionalities of Asus Merlin.