TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  

easy way to determine status

Rate this topic

I use the socks5 proxy service and on a pretty regular basis my torrents stop working ...

When this happens, I normally try disabling the proxy and sometimes this helps, sometimes not.

I'd really like to get a sense of how to tell if your service is "up" or not. I've seen the server status page, and often notice that some of the socks5 servers are marked as down (at this moment, all of the us socks5 proxies are down).

I'm configured to use proxy.torguard.tg, I'm guessing that because I'm in the US it's going to use US servers, is that correct?

Is there simple way to determine if things are working or not? Preferrably something I can script, so that I can have something that returns true / false status for my setup.

Thanks

Support

Hello

We don't have any socks5 proxy servers in the USA - the servers page cross next to these servers simply means they don't support it.

Have you tried using IP's directly ?

All our proxies are up and running fine, an easy way to test if the proxy is online is just by scanning port 1080, if its open its up.

Regards

Sorry, I misunderstood the status page.

Then I'm not really sure what the problem is. What I've noticed is that I will regularly have torrents that will not download (normally these are torrents added with magnet links, and they will not download metadata)

Last night I was having this problem with several torrents. I disabled the proxy and they started downloading right away. This happens in uTorrent and Deluge.

At other times I've had this happen and disabling the proxy didn't change anything, so I just don't know what's going on.

Any thoughts?

TorGuard Admin

Hi shawncatz,

Sometimes proxy timeouts can occur, especially when using udp trackers or magnet links.

I would not recommend disabling the proxy as this could possibly expose your IP.

In the event of proxy error, just restart your torrent software to completely reset the proxy connection. (Close and re-open)

This happening on a pretty regular basis, basically every time I added torrents I would need to restart the client (which I've been doing for the past few weeks).

A couple days ago I switched from Deluge to uTorrent (as Deluge seems to have several issues with proxies, kept having lots of problems with it crashing).

uTorrent is definitely more stable (not crashing), but had the same problem last night, where it would not get metadata for magnet torrents.

I've built a system that automates finding and downloading torrents, and currently, I can't guarantee that I can find an actual torrent file for everything I'm downloading, so I really need magnet to work. If I have to manually (or even script) restarting the torrent client on a regular basis, it defeats the purpose of the automation (or at least isn't as clean as I would like)

I've turned the proxy back on (using the recommended settings for uTorrent from this site), I'll see how things go from now.

Can you tell me if switching to the VPN service instead of just torrent proxy will help anything?

Thanks for the help

Support

Hi there - can you tell me what proxy you are using or do you switch the regularly ?

I would certainly look into it server side to see if theres anything we can do - the VPN wouldn't have this problem.

Regards

I'm using the recommended configuration: proxy.torguard.tg, I figured that way I get the benefit of not having to worry about changing things if one goes down.

If you recommend something else, I'm happy to try it.

What do you mean by looking into it server side? your server side?

If the VPN service doesn't have this problem, I might just switch to that.

Also, how does using the VPN service affect my ability to run servers?

I have a web server running in my network, if I were to use the VPN service (configured in my router), would that change the way I need to setup that server?

Would like to get answers to these questions.

If setting up the VPN connect won't affect my ability to servers, I will try setting that up this weekend. Just don't want to setup / pay for it to find it wont work for me.

Support

Hello - the VPN service would still work but we would need you to run your web servers on another port if thats not much of a problem ? as we don't allow port forwarding on port 80/443.

The VPN is also a much more secure option than the proxy, the proxy can be used as a failover in your torrent client for sure though.

Regards