Jump to content
TorGuard
  • 0
naterhit

940Mb off VPN, 150-200 on? - Slow speeds please help

Rate this question

Question

naterhit

Team,

I just signed up today because for a while I've heard about your stellar speeds.

I have direct fiber to my place on a Gigabit plan through ATT Gigapower.  Service is amazing, fast, stable.  Any day of the week anytime I can pull speedtest.net results around 940Mb down and 940Mb up, with 10-12ms latency - Point is that it's a super great connection.

 

I signed up today and paid for the dedicated 10Gb backbone.  I configured and added each 10Gb server manually and tried each 10Gb connection with each of the various options trying to get better speeds.  The best I could manage download was around 150-200Mb, similar upload speeds.  I understand that there is some VPN overhead of around 3-15% give or take.  Even so, I would still expect faster speeds than that.  

 

What kinds of speeds are those on a true gigabit connection getting?

What other things should I be looking at or testing?

I installed the client on a healthy Windows machine.  I have an Ubiquity Edge-Router lite.  Is that sufficient or does that not matter for VPN traffic and that's all handled on Windows client side for processing power?  The router can easily handle Gb internet traffic not using a VPN client on my windows machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Support
On 12/4/2018 at 11:54 PM, naterhit said:

Team,

I just signed up today because for a while I've heard about your stellar speeds.

I have direct fiber to my place on a Gigabit plan through ATT Gigapower.  Service is amazing, fast, stable.  Any day of the week anytime I can pull speedtest.net results around 940Mb down and 940Mb up, with 10-12ms latency - Point is that it's a super great connection.

 

I signed up today and paid for the dedicated 10Gb backbone.  I configured and added each 10Gb server manually and tried each 10Gb connection with each of the various options trying to get better speeds.  The best I could manage download was around 150-200Mb, similar upload speeds.  I understand that there is some VPN overhead of around 3-15% give or take.  Even so, I would still expect faster speeds than that.  

 

What kinds of speeds are those on a true gigabit connection getting?

What other things should I be looking at or testing?

I installed the client on a healthy Windows machine.  I have an Ubiquity Edge-Router lite.  Is that sufficient or does that not matter for VPN traffic and that's all handled on Windows client side for processing power?  The router can easily handle Gb internet traffic not using a VPN client on my windows machine.

 

It is hard to say why your speeds are as low but each of these 10 G servers is not dedicated lines to you, they are shared with other users and so it will be dependent on user-usage and of course client-side routing/CPU - if your Windows PC has a decent CPU I don't see an issue with getting higher than 200 + but I can honestly say you won't get anywhere near your 1G line speed up or down, i have seen users around 400 to 600Mbps at most.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
JonnyQ

@naterhit,

 

Can you try the following config?

  • For servers, pick the closest by proximity (select server\ sort by proximity). Selecting lowest usage server can be tricky as it may be further from you and introduce more latency
  • Tunnel Type - Open VPN
  • Protocol - UDP
  • Port Auth - Auto (or select any SHA256 manually as SHA1 has been deprecated due to security issues)
  • Cipher - AES 128 GCM (less overhead than 256 GCM)
  • More settings\ Network \ DNS \ When VPN is connected - use VPN DNS 
  • More settings\ Proxy - Direct Connection

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
kurisu

Not a premium network customer on TG as they have no premium servers in my country. However I've experienced similar; on my gigabit symmetric line I can easily achieve >600 Mbit in both directions using any NordVPN Manchester VPN server, no tweaks to adapters required. Some servers give even faster speeds. TorGuard seems to have some catching up to do with their competitors in this regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
klepp0906

yea i have the same issue.  been doing some google searches trying to get a feel for others experience w/ the 10g service relative to the standard.

standard I get the 500-600mb that the support rep speaks of.   Unfortunately that IP range for the servers close to me are blocked by my ISP for sending emails and theyve also had a 30-40% increase in ping lately for reasons above my paygrade, but that im not confident will be resolved.

so ultimately I was willing to sign up for the 10g as a means to "potentially" unblock the isp email, but if not - to provide me with better speed.

well the good news is that it did unblock my email, so theres that.

it also reduced my ping to EXACTLY what it was on the non 10g servers before whatever happened; happened.   (i use the same locale for 10g and non 10g).  If torguard hasnt always been so helpful and forward, one would think they began artificially slowing down the standard ping to make the 10g more attractive.   Unlikely though as 10g was around long before that began happening afaik.

Anyhow - getting off topic.  As for speeds.   my regular 500-600 (of my 1g line) of which i was totally satisfied with (getting via the non premium servers) is reduced to 200-300mb tops with the premium server.   

I tried last night and figured id wait till today since it was saturday night, probably heavy traffic.  But today at the butt crack of dawn, same thing.   At this point, not sure ill keep it.  

You would think its simply congestion and they need to add more servers per locale (but do they plan to?), and on the other hand, id like to think theres still a ton more traffic per server on the standard relative to the 10g so it has to be something else.

In the end, out of my hands :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
DaLumberJack

I have the same problem and made a post about it as well. 

 

Maybe together we can all figure this out? 

Or like said above, its not on our end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
klepp0906
6 hours ago, DaLumberJack said:

I have the same problem and made a post about it as well. 

 

Maybe together we can all figure this out? 

Or like said above, its not on our end.

oh its certainly not on our end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
DaLumberJack

Since this thread has more answers than mine I am going to post here again.

 

Any updates or changes found to help increase our speeds?

Or is this a dead topic and we are left with a choice of either stay with torguard and deal with the speed issues or move on? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Support
1 hour ago, DaLumberJack said:

Since this thread has more answers than mine I am going to post here again.

 

Any updates or changes found to help increase our speeds?

Or is this a dead topic and we are left with a choice of either stay with torguard and deal with the speed issues or move on? 

1

 

Hello,

Well speed issues can be caused by many  different variables, the only part of the network reported to have speed issues were on the 10GE servers, this is now fixed, of course in this game speed issues can be caused by many things and it's best you open a ticket for us to help you investigate where that might be on your particular setup.

1) Speed issues reported on the 10GE servers are 95 % fixed.

2) Chicago Latency issues are now fixed.

At this moment there are no other reports.

Regards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×