TorGuard

Can one router have two different LAN connections

Rate this question

Heywood

Question

Hi guys,

i am new to this whole router vpn world. My question is this could I have a router that assigns a 1 LAN port as a normal connection and another LAN port as a VPN connection?. It would have the same connection going into the WAN port coming in from my primary router. So basically can one router provide a VPN connection and a normal connection through 2 Ethernet cables? If this is possible which router should I get for optimal speed and optimal amount of ports, need at least 3 LANs. If it’s not possible what could I do?

thanks,

3 answers to this question

On 11/8/2018 at 11:53 PM, Heywood said:

Hi guys,

i am new to this whole router vpn world. My question is this could I have a router that assigns a 1 LAN port as a normal connection and another LAN port as a VPN connection?. It would have the same connection going into the WAN port coming in from my primary router. So basically can one router provide a VPN connection and a normal connection through 2 Ethernet cables? If this is possible which router should I get for optimal speed and optimal amount of ports, need at least 3 LANs. If it’s not possible what could I do?

thanks,

I dont know for sure but I think this doable. I think it's done by forwarding.

Maybe you should try a specialized site to get an sophisticated answer (smallnetbuilders).

Kepp us updated if you solved your problem.

yes, I think you can accomplish this by utilizing selective policy routing. I use Asus routers with Merlin FW that allow for policy routing based on IP address. Just route your LAN IP address's to vpn or WAN connection as required.

this is quite old thread, seems nobody has ever replied. On openwrt you can do it very easy by creating additional vlan assigning it to separate ports, as example you can use wan port as switch, lan port1 as vpn1 connection, lan port2 as vpn2 connection, lan port3 as example tor and lan port4 as example i2p where each of them can provide dhcp server etc.. for each interface as well as you can create wlan for them too.

Basically it is very easy to do and only your imagination is your restriction. I used many different setups with Archer C5/C7 routers. Today I use use similar setup. On opewrt you can do it all in GUI too which is quite user friendly for beginners, you can read more about VLAN and openwrt here: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/network/vlan/switch_configuration

Using other methods seems more complicated and harder to maintenance.

If you have a device which actually does not have Switch tab in their menu (like re450 due to its small size of available space), then you can create a config manually and menu will appear.

However, cheap routers will deliver really bad speed if you use 2 or more vpn connections at the same time, you need more cpu power for that (except if your ISP delivers you less than 20Mbit/s, then you would be good even with an Archer C7), thats why I use SoC boards for my VPN connections and use them as gateway in different interfaces.