TorGuard
Milo6T

Can't download torrent on Mageia with TG Client active.

Rate this question

Question

Milo6T

Hi all. Very new to TG (a few weeks).

I know some people have asked similar questions but I couldn't really follow what was going on. Ihope this hasn't already been asked/answered previously.

Anyway, I use Mageia Linux #6 and KTorrent and the TG Client. It has been working well - till I tried to download a couple of torrents yesterday - they just wouldn't start. I thought this may be because the TG client was actively connected. So I disconnected the client and the torrents started.

In one of the quesions asked  (that I found in my searches) someone suggested port-forwarding, or registering the server or something - I used to work in IT for 30 years (before retiring 6+ years ago) so I understand the concept (hazily now) about port forwarding but no idea but the "registering of servers"  (this is from a question asked:  Torguard + qBitTorrent + Torrentbytes "Have you added the ip address as a dedicated ip within the Torguard client? More settings > Servers. You will get a new server entry to connect to. ") Where is More settings > Servers?????

Also, I discovered thaat when I'm trying to watch some media from Plex via Chromecast on my TV, it doesn't work. I also suspected the TG client. So, disconnected TG and media started working!

Anyway, any help would be most appreciated.

Myles,

Canberra, Australia.

2 answers to this question

Support
On 11/1/2018 at 1:48 AM, Milo6T said:

Hi all. Very new to TG (a few weeks).

I know some people have asked similar questions but I couldn't really follow what was going on. Ihope this hasn't already been asked/answered previously.

Anyway, I use Mageia Linux #6 and KTorrent and the TG Client. It has been working well - till I tried to download a couple of torrents yesterday - they just wouldn't start. I thought this may be because the TG client was actively connected. So I disconnected the client and the torrents started.

In one of the quesions asked  (that I found in my searches) someone suggested port-forwarding, or registering the server or something - I used to work in IT for 30 years (before retiring 6+ years ago) so I understand the concept (hazily now) about port forwarding but no idea but the "registering of servers"  (this is from a question asked:  Torguard + qBitTorrent + Torrentbytes "Have you added the ip address as a dedicated ip within the Torguard client? More settings > Servers. You will get a new server entry to connect to. ") Where is More settings > Servers?????

Also, I discovered thaat when I'm trying to watch some media from Plex via Chromecast on my TV, it doesn't work. I also suspected the TG client. So, disconnected TG and media started working!

Anyway, any help would be most appreciated.

Myles,

Canberra, Australia.

Hi Myles

Your torrent client should start downloading without port forwarding, port forwarding will help with speed but won't prevent you from downloading, some trackers do block some IP ranges owned  by popular DC's, or some private sites require you to register an IP address you will use to download, have you tried different VPN locations or different OpenVPN connection ports? or maybe try another torrent site to see if its specific to these torrents?

In regards to chromecast, the chromecast and the device your looking to cast to both need to be within the same network for this to work, if you connect to the vpn it will be in a different network to the device you want to cast to, the way around that is to connect the vpn to a vpn capable router.

Regards

Milo6T

Thanks Support Staff, (whoever you may be),

I have sorted out the torrent issue - I noticed I had a dedicated radio button in the Firewall. I activated this a few days ago. I then downloaded a torrent today and it worked straight away! So activating that "Bit Torrent" radio button in the Firewall seems to have done the trick. 

Using Chromecast with TG is not a problem - I'll just drop TG and watch my shows - then re-activate TG.

Thanks for the answer, much appreciated.

Myles,