TorGuard
Torad

Router VPN is slow- what are my other options?

Rate this question

Question

I have my VPN running on my Asus n66u router running Merlin. 

Without VPN, I get 150-200 Mbps. With VPN, I'm getting 10-15 Mbps (wired Ethernet connection to router). I've read that this is probably because my router is underpowered. 

I'd like to only have a few devices consistently behind my VPN. (E.g. Nvidia shield, Synology NAS).

What are my best options? I'd like to be able.get higher download speeds. I have a raspberry pi laying around, but I'm guessing that won't be able to get much higher speeds either. 

4 answers to this question

23 hours ago, Torad said:

I have my VPN running on my Asus n66u router running Merlin. 

Without VPN, I get 150-200 Mbps. With VPN, I'm getting 10-15 Mbps (wired Ethernet connection to router). I've read that this is probably because my router is underpowered. 

I'd like to only have a few devices consistently behind my VPN. (E.g. Nvidia shield, Synology NAS).

What are my best options? I'd like to be able.get higher download speeds. I have a raspberry pi laying around, but I'm guessing that won't be able to get much higher speeds either. 

You may want to consider upgrading your router to a model that has an 1800 MHz processor. Your current router has a 600 MHz cpu which is woefully underpowered to manage OpenVPN.

I second that answer. Go and buy a new asus ac86u. With that 1.8GHz CPU you will be able to get around 200MBit VPN encrypted bandwidth. At least theoretically when and if your provider (ISP and VPN) is fast enough for that. You can use Merlin on the 86u too.

Make sure to use the new GCM and make sure to use profile 1 when you set up your VPN client within Merlin.. first profile will use the second core of your routers CPU.

Since OpenVPN encryption is still single threaded you will use one core only for encryption and the other one for routers main functions.

At this point there are no better routers for VPN out there (for this low price / end users).

Have fun with your new router and your fast VPN throughput :-)

I'm having the same problem with my Synology RT2600ac, which has a dual core 1.73 GHz processor.

Every time I enable the VPN my DL speed slows to about 25 mbps, when VPN is off I average 200 mbps.

Anything I could be doing wrong? I've tried all the different protocols the router supports...

On 11/16/2018 at 7:53 AM, ZivZulander said:

I'm having the same problem with my Synology RT2600ac, which has a dual core 1.73 GHz processor.

Every time I enable the VPN my DL speed slows to about 25 mbps, when VPN is off I average 200 mbps.

Anything I could be doing wrong? I've tried all the different protocols the router supports...

Your Cpu power should be enough.

Try turning off all the shenanigans your router has (such as firewall, dpi, antivirus, parental control etc. etc.). If the Speed goes up, reactivate the things you really need one by one and see if that does the trick.

Aside from that, third party firewalls (such as internet security suites) are known to throttle your throughput. If you are using Windows 10 you can turn them off with peace of mind. The windows 10 firewall is capable!

Would like to know if it worked....