Sign in to follow this  
balexter

two vpn tunnels to increase speed?

Rate this question

Question

balexter

Hello folks at TG,

my situation:

I am using TG with a residential ip in the usa to stream content to central europe (germany in this case). I set this up on a router so my tv / fire stick/ other devises can access the content.

While speeds are okish (5 - 10 MBit) they could be a lot better. Latency isnt overwhelming (150-250) but ok to stream. Sometimes the connection is bad and there is a lot of buffering.

I tinkered with settings, tried other vpn providers etc etc. Intercontinental speed wont get any better (Im getting 100/40 by ISP so this is not the limiting factor). I assume that simply internetspeed between continents is this slow.

my idea:

establish 2 vpn tunnels at the same time, from the same ip (router) to the same destination (residential ip), merge the traffic, thus doubling the speed.

Question:

Is this doable? If so, HOW?  The perfect solution would be to have the 2 tunnels established via router, so every device connecting to the router would have double bandwidth.

Any other ideas how I could increase internetspeed from usa to europe?

Many thanks for answers, input and thoughts!!

regards

2 answers to this question

LNK

I'm not a network engineer, so I'm just going from my understanding (which may be, and probably is, flawed).

It sounds like your big problem is the internet, which you can't control. It has it's own routing tables, variable routes to get from point A to point B, other traffic getting in the way etc. Having 2 tunnels lets you throw twice as many packets out, but you are still throwing them onto the internet. Unless you can get some sort of dedicated point-to-point route set up, or label the packages as 'take the shortest route' or 'take the fastest route', internet routing protocols will still send you via different routes (load balencing, stalls/overloads in certain sections all moving the packets around. As you said above ' Sometimes the connection is bad and there is a lot of buffering' - routing protocols sending the packets by different longer or slower routes ). It's like sending letters - throwing twice as many letters into the postbox doesn't get them delivered twice as fast. You need to tag them as priority mail to do that. And I don't know how you do that with internet packets.

balexter

Hello LNK,

thank you for your thoughts on this toppic!

May I point out that your argument is flawed? What you describe with the twice as many letters analogy, does in fact supports my idea.

Twice as many letters are not any faster (you are right here), but fastness is the equivalent of latency (response time, ping). With twice as many letters you would be able to send twice as many information! Thus doubling bandwidth! 

I think the misunderstanding comes from casually calling latency and bandwidth "speed".

In my thinking, sending twice as many letters will indeed improve the throughput of data.

And I think I have heard from tech that exists to achieve that (split tunneling, tunnel bonding).

And I cant accept that in the year 2018 I am unable to stream quick and fast from USA to central Europe. Somehow it must be doable. :-)