TorGuard
Stimpy

TorGuard Client vs OpenVPN; Is There A Difference?

Rate this question

Question

Stimpy

I have been trying to learn more about the TorGuard Client and how it differs from plain old OpenVPN; which I have used for ages. I have been looking for a software manual for the TorGuard Client. I was hoping to find a breakdown of it's features so that I could figure out if OpenVPN was capable of emulating everything the TorGuard client does.

I'm just curious. I have used both for connecting to TorGuard's VPN service, but I'd really like to know the differences between them. Can anybody tell me or point me in the direction of a resource where I might learn more? Thanks so much ^_^

6 answers to this question

Support
On 04/09/2018 at 8:16 AM, Stimpy said:

I have been trying to learn more about the TorGuard Client and how it differs from plain old OpenVPN; which I have used for ages. I have been looking for a software manual for the TorGuard Client. I was hoping to find a breakdown of it's features so that I could figure out if OpenVPN was capable of emulating everything the TorGuard client does.

I'm just curious. I have used both for connecting to TorGuard's VPN service, but I'd really like to know the differences between them. Can anybody tell me or point me in the direction of a resource where I might learn more? Thanks so much ^_^

Hi Stimpy

Well the TG app is just a UI for OpenVPN 2.4 with some changes to the binary for our stealth features, we also handle most of the routing, we do also include options to kill applications, kill interfaces, add your own servers/dedicated IP's, select your ports and encryption level, security options to block potential leaks with IPv6, webRTC, DNS that the plain OpenVPN app doesn't provide.

Regards

Nietes

I wonder, what is the best option in the config generator, which port and protocol ?

Stimpy

Nietes, what do you mean by "best option"?

For example:

1. Best for a speedy internet connection?
  2. Best for the strongest connection encryption possible?
  3. Best for torrent download speeds?
  4. Best mixture of speed and encryption?

JoPe

I use the OpenVPN app because it allows me to use the "Always-On" and "block connections without VPN" options. 

Any way to do this with the TorGuard app?

Marco
On 10/9/2018 at 8:22 AM, JoPe said:

I use the OpenVPN app because it allows me to use the "Always-On" and "block connections without VPN" options. 

Any way to do this with the TorGuard app?

I have requested it for a while now. TG has assured me that this feature will be live in the next Android client release. So, you can hold your breath if you want!

• Thanks 1