TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  
balexter

Question about intercontinental speed

Rate this topic

balexter

Hi all, devs, admins and TG users!

I have a question regarding your TG / other VPNs experience when it comes to intercontinental speed.

The situation: I stream a lot from USA to central europe (Germany in my case). I found the speed i get from TG standard servers (streaming ip) and other VPN providers quite underwhelming!

Mostly I get around 5-8 Mbit.   I even subscribed to TG residential IP 10 GBit. It did improve the speed to 12MBit at the max, but sometime I still get around 3-5Mbit.

The question(s):

What speed do you get intercontinental (USA to central europe in the best case)?

Do you know of ways (including other providers) how I can have a faster streaming connection across the pond? Unblocking geo-restriction to access netflix usa is a must!

If if helps: I am using an ASUS ac88u with merlin with standard settings to access the usa server.

Thank you for any answer/help :-)

regards...

Dan_C

HI Balexter

Now I can only tell you have thing are from my view and like you I am in Europa. Now I have only need using the residential IP from Oakland for a couple of days but at the same time and when the time on it is up that will be it I get anything from 7 mbps to 30 in download upload is from 2 to 4 mbps

I also have a streaming ip in Michigan that will normally give me 40-50 mbps in download upload is 15-30 mbps not that I using it to upload with.

TG New York here I normally get something like 60-70 in download upload is from 40-55 mbps. If I use London I have 70 mbps and up

and a upload there is the same

hope it helps you

balexter

Hi Dan_C,

Many thanks for your answer!

Before the residential IP in oakland, I had a streaming IP in florida and tried out a streaming ip in michigan. All with the same results.

May I as kif the New York server you mentioned is a standard shared ip or a streaming ip too?

I get 100/40 from my ISP, so my speeds isnt the limiting factor here. Maybe I have to ask TG support to try out all available streaming ip locations and find one that will give me a fast and stable connection....

I have spoken to the support team about my problem. Might I ask you what IP range you are in when you stream from the US? Maybe send it in a PM so it wont exposed here?  This might help support to help me.

Kind regards and thanks in advance

Dan_C

HI there Balexter

The New York one is the same as you have or can use,

About the streaming ip it was move from Arizona to Michigan, after it was done I did get a better speed out of it. but as you have try it I am not sure, it will help you

It can also be that your ISP are throttling you when using VPN, I have been trying out difference VPN providers, and did come back to torguard as I got the best streaming speed

I did try out one where then speed I got out of New York, as the was the streaming ip was only good for SD but at the same time a friend got the speed I was after. But I never got that. So after 20 days I ask for a refund

• Like 1

balexter

Hey Dan-C,

Thank you again for your reply and your PM! I hope this will help me solve my problem. At the moment I fear I simply sit in a bad place concerning internet traffic peering.

May changing ISP (getting glas fibre the next weeks) will make a change...

Thank you again and kind regards