TorGuard
uNc

Residential IP Oakland - CA (Cogent) 10Gbps -

Rate this topic

uNc

Just switched to one of these residential IP Oakland add-ons...TG describes it as this:

"Residential IP Oakland - CA (Cogent) 10Gbps - $7.99USD MonthlyGet a fresh IP that looks like your connecting from home, very fast, good for streaming and general usage"

Anyone used this dedicated IP and if so, what speeds are you getting?

It is for me perhaps the slowest TG server I have used! Terribly slow and inefficient! And it is NO GOOD for streaming...unless you like 240p or 360p!

Pay extra for a "very fast" IP and get shafted....Unbelievable.

john1

1 hour ago, Sam Crow said:

Just switched to one of these residential IP Oakland add-ons...TG describes it as this:

"Residential IP Oakland - CA (Cogent) 10Gbps - $7.99USD MonthlyGet a fresh IP that looks like your connecting from home, very fast, good for streaming and general usage"

Anyone used this dedicated IP and if so, what speeds are you getting?

It is for me perhaps the slowest TG server I have used! Terribly slow and inefficient! And it is NO GOOD for streaming...unless you like 240p or 360p!

Pay extra for a "very fast" IP and get shafted....Unbelievable.

Hi Sam,

I found the same thing when I tried it yesterday. I switched back to Dallas where I get at least 2 to 3 times the speed.

Not only that the ip they gave me shows up as Russian in some directories and some of my streaming was blocked because of it.

When I logged in to paypal to pay their fee for switching back I was given a Russian paypal page.

It sounded like a great idea but was a big disappointment.

If you notice it doesn't say 10 gig anymore just very fast.

John

uNc

Interesting....sounds a bit like an ongoing TG scam here. 

I will demand a change to one of these Dallas servers and refuse to pay the change fee.

Pathetic circumstances.

Dan_C

Wow thanks, and here I was planning taking it for 1 year I like the idea that it was on a 10 gb network.

Not sure if an Russian ip was going to help me

uNc

Depending on your geographical location these TG dedicated streaming IP's may sustain decent speeds (>25Mbps) suitable for HD streaming. However, in my case I am located in SE Asia and the connection to this 10Gbs Oakland dedicated IP server is abysmal ...less than 20Mbps in contrast to speeds with ExpressVPN achieving >100Mbps to west coast servers in CA.

TG tried telling me that my router (Asus RT-AC86U) was not powerful enough to manage the cipher encryption which is rubbish as I regularly achieve 200Mbps with this router on OpenVPN servers at ExpressVPN and other VPN services.

I requested a change to the Dallas IP from this SLOW Oakland IP but TG has ignored this request thus far.

Try it for a month, test it out before committing.

Dan_C

I am using  a streaming ip for now and I do get 40-50 mbps, from it, so that is fine,  and I will keep asking them for an residential on the east coast as it is the closest to me 

uNc

What is your ISP speed package?

Dan_C

I am on a 100/100 I do live a across the pond so I will never get full speed,  but at the same time I do have over 70 if I use New York, and in London it is close to max

211941_1511348165

I am getting 100Mbps with Asus AC86U/OpenVPN AES-128-GCM and 220Mbps with IPSec. I locate in HK. 

I experience better speed probably because Cognet has a direct link to HK from Los Angeles - https://www.cogentco.com/en/network/network-map

uNc
9 hours ago, 211941_1511348165 said:

I am getting 100Mbps with Asus AC86U/OpenVPN AES-128-GCM and 220Mbps with IPSec. I locate in HK. 

I experience better speed probably because Cognet has a direct link to HK from Los Angeles - https://www.cogentco.com/en/network/network-map

How did you configure IPSec....as a PPTP/LT2P vpn client on the router?

uNc
On 8/28/2018 at 8:49 PM, Dan_C said:

I am on a 100/100 I do live a across the pond so I will never get full speed,  but at the same time I do have over 70 if I use New York, and in London it is close to max

Seems you are getting good speeds from your UK location...!

211941_1511348165
10 minutes ago, Sam Crow said:

How did you configure IPSec....as a PPTP/LT2P vpn client on the router?

I configure OpenVPN for my AC86U router (Merlin fw) at home (speed can achieve up to 110 Mbps) and configure IPSec for my portable devices such as MacBook and iPhone (speed is almost 2x of OpenVPN).  Despite performance differences,  I'd still prefer to use OpenVPN as it supports reconnection.

Looking at the Cogent network map, they also have direct link to Singapore but too bad you are not getting good speed. :(

uNc
55 minutes ago, 211941_1511348165 said:

I configure OpenVPN for my AC86U router (Merlin fw) at home (speed can achieve up to 110 Mbps) and configure IPSec for my portable devices such as MacBook and iPhone (speed is almost 2x of OpenVPN).  Despite performance differences,  I'd still prefer to use OpenVPN as it supports reconnection.

Looking at the Cogent network map, they also have direct link to Singapore but too bad you are not getting good speed. :(

Oh, okay. I am in Thailand, so no direct connection to the cogent backbone. I do achieve >100Mbps on many US servers with OpenVPN, just not on this Cogent IP which can now reach <50Mbps but not consitently. I like the feature set with these residential IP's for streaming US content. I like the OpenVPN performance of the AC86U router and look forward to the new AX-88U router which is launching 3rd quarter from Asus.

What Merlin FW version are you using...384.5?

211941_1511348165

Heard that Cogent network coverage sucks in Asia so speed tends to be poor if they don't have direct links to it.

I am using Merlin 384.5. Tried 384.6/384.7alpha but feeling 384.5 is the most stable. 

I hope you will have better luck with their Dallas residential IPs.