TorGuard
dumbl3

Wireguard support?

Rate this question

Question

Hello,

Is it possible to setup a wireguard vpn connection with my torguard vpn account? I have installed the app, but how do I have to set it up?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wireguard.android&hl=nl

I have rooted android 8.1 AOSP extended with custom kernel (xiaomi redmi note 5 global)

Wireguard info:

https://www.xda-developers.com/wireguard-vpn-project-support-android-roms/

8 answers to this question

On 24/07/2018 at 7:14 AM, dumbl3 said:

Hello,

Is it possible to setup a wireguard vpn connection with my torguard vpn account? I have installed the app, but how do I have to set it up?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wireguard.android&hl=nl

I have rooted android 8.1 AOSP extended with custom kernel (xiaomi redmi note 5 global)

Wireguard info:

https://www.xda-developers.com/wireguard-vpn-project-support-android-roms/

At the moment it is not possible bit but rest assured we will get some WireGuard servers going very soon :)

Regards

• Thanks 2

On 03/08/2018 at 9:31 AM, Marco said:

That's great news! Been hearing a lot about WireGuard's blazing fast speed. Please add an Indian server too for us Asian users. :)

Certainly will, as soon as they are ready we will post a little announcement on these forums.

Regards

• Thanks 1

On 27/7/2018 at 3:48 AM, Support said:

we will get some WireGuard servers going very soon :)

That's great news! Been hearing a lot about WireGuard's blazing fast speed. Please add an Indian server too for us Asian users. :)

@adagari @Yann

Private Internet Access posted an informative article about Wireguard a few weeks ago. That article was an eye opener for me personally. Here are the important bits regarding why we shouldn't rush to use Wireguard:

"There’s still a lot of work to be done before WireGuard is ready for professional use. It is still in development and the project recommends not using in production environments yet"

And...

"The Windows client is even more problematic, as it is created by a 3rd party group and the source code is closed[...]Even worse, the current Windows client relies on OpenVPN’s TUN/TAP driver, which is the root cause of most of the Windows performance problems in OpenVPN and doesn’t follow any of the principles of simple, clear, and concise code. The OpenVPN TAP driver is larger than all of WireGuard combined."

And...

"It is crucial to understand that while WireGuard is very promising conceptually and the principles behind its development are sound, it needs to be feature complete and have independent review of all “final” components before it is safe to use in production."

Tldr; while we are excited as we should be for a faster VPN experience with Wireguard, it is imperative that the protocol is complete and vetted properly before taking charge of our privacy.

Thank you Marco,

I don't need wireguard for a professional use.

I juste need another protocol to bypass the DPI censorship of the country I live.

I want to use a VPN client on my router and all openvpn/pptp/... connections are blocked.

The solution I found is to setup my raspberry as a router running an openconnect client (not blocked).

I tested  wireguard with AzireVPN & Mullvad VPN and they are working well but I can't use a dedicated/streaming IP with them.

For all these reasons, I hope that Torguard will implement wireguard very soon.

Regards.

Yann.

• Like 1

Hi.

Is there any update on Wireguard Servers? @Support

The main reason i interested to this Technology is very little battery usage on smartphones. OVPN usually destroy battery life. 

I'm testing Wireguard on my own server and battery usage close to Zero.  

Can you guys provide any ETA for Wireguard servers? 

Thanks