TorGuard

China User Discussion and Solution

Rate this question

Question

In the past month (July 2018) and most recent days, Torguard users living in China like me have been experiencing difficulties connecting most VPN servers and stability problem even connected, acrossing the all platforms. 

I contacted the customer support and got some support and run several tests based on their suggestions. It worked for a while but failed recently. I am not a savvy of internet and computer science; my guess is this is highly probably due to the upgrade of GFW.

So I am looking for the temporary solutions from other users in China and maybe the long-term solution from the tech at Torguard here. Meanwhile, I can share my successful connection settings here so that if you happen visit this thread and can find some solutions.

On 7/24/2018 UTC+8, I am not able to connect most servers (I did not try all servers) without using Proxy servers on Windows; no luck on Android app; slow connection using Anyconnect app on IOS.

1. The fast connection I can get is through "Los Angeles(Asia Optimized), TCP, Proxy Server (Atlanta 3)". The ping is 292ms and the download speed is 16.48 Mbps.
  2. Sometimes other USA servers works too. The download speed varies a lot. South Korea server occasionally works.

Before July 2018, I used to connect Taiwan, Japan, and South Korea servers and got a very good connection speed. 

Any comments and suggestions are welcomed. 

For those who want to communicate using Chinese,   I can be reached at [email protected]

6 answers to this question

As of 7/25 ~2AM UTC+8, most of the previously unblocked European servers have now been blocked and as far as I can tell there's been no actions or updates from Torguard on this matter.

Anyconnect connections typically yield less than 1mbps dl if they even work and right now I'm using a free third party VPN that gives faster speeds than that.

If you're in China, I suggest steering away from Torguard unless they decide to fix things because even free services beat them.

Does anyone know of a better VPN provider for people in China?

I know vpn.ac and ExpressVPN both work actively with status updates and new servers when China blocks their old ones.

On 7/25/2018 at 3:58 AM, bob1 said:

As of 7/25 ~2AM UTC+8, most of the previously unblocked European servers have now been blocked and as far as I can tell there's been no actions or updates from Torguard on this matter.

Anyconnect connections typically yield less than 1mbps dl if they even work and right now I'm using a free third party VPN that gives faster speeds than that.

If you're in China, I suggest steering away from Torguard unless they decide to fix things because even free services beat them.

I know vpn.ac and ExpressVPN both work actively with status updates and new servers when China blocks their old ones.

Thanks for your information.

I agree and I am currently looking for new VPN service providers that target Chinese market, because the situation became worse.

There are too much information and ads of these providers on the internet. I have to download and test the trial version one by one.

On 24/07/2018 at 8:58 PM, bob1 said:

We are very much aware of the situation and are working for a solution, at the moment we are adding many new locations and servers for anyconnect, also Taiwan, please see here https://torguard.net/network/anyconnect/

15 hours ago, online said:

Thanks for your information.

I agree and I am currently looking for new VPN service providers that target Chinese market, because the situation became worse.

There are too much information and ads of these providers on the internet. I have to download and test the trial version one by one.

We will have a solution very soon, there are locations that are blocked at various times of the year, these don't appear to be permanent blocks.

Regards

11 hours ago, Support said:

Thank you for the update from the official. The information helps however this anyconnect servers information is not easy to find; ins tead, the link under SERVERS - VPN HOSTNAMES is surely out of date. Here is the link https://torguard.net/tgconf.php?action=vpn-servers.

image.png.8c24a6123c71dde1ac40167b9705f04a.png

11 hours ago, Support said:

We are very much aware of the situation and are working for a solution, at the moment we are adding many new locations and servers for anyconnect, also Taiwan, please see here https://torguard.net/network/anyconnect/

We will have a solution very soon, there are locations that are blocked at various times of the year, these don't appear to be permanent blocks.

Regards

image.png

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, bob1 said:

As of 11/13 both - vpn.ac and ExpressVPN are working.
ExpressVPN did a lot to and they acted very fast when blocked in late October. But they still have only a few servers in Asian area to connect with.
vpn.ac gives you access to more servers, even in Europe.

I heard all this has to do with DPI (Deep Package Inspection).

I am with ExpressVPN for years and now trying torguard but think that vpn.ac is best choice in China at the moment.