TorGuard
Psyberius

Speeds?

Rate this question

Question

Psyberius

Hello,

I currently have gigabit internet through Rogers in Canada. I have always had much slower than my available internet problems with Tor(on different ISPs/Different internet packages/tested every server Tor has at various times) but it's starting to become ludicrously slow. I did a couple tests to various servers at various times and it's obvious that you have your service choked to around 70-85mbit down and perhaps 12 up?

When is Torguard going to upgrade its servers to reflect the general increase in speed to home users to 300 megabits and gigabit?  I've been patiently riding the 70-85mbit wave for a couple years now, however, nothing is advancing.

Oh, please don't bother with a "we have no network issues in your area to that server blah blah" deal because I know for sure that it's you choking your servers to a set speed. Other Torguard servers/testing times/testing servers are all tested and I get the same speeds to every server Torguard has. 

When I'm not running Torguard, I get 850-900mbit down and 50 up so I think you can understand that my VPN not changing with the rest of the world has become very obvious and bothersome. Getting ten or less percent of my available bandwidth even with the ultra low price I pay with Tor really isn't a decision as far as continuing my service with Tor unless there's going to be network speed increases soon. A billion Tor servers across the world including Kuala Lumpur is certainly an interesting feature but the core value of a VPN is a> security/blocking yourself b> a> being at a speed that's decent relative to your network speeds.

Tor certainly does an excellent job of providing security and options of servers/ips however unlike a number of the other providers, the speed isn't increasing with the times. It's bad enough that I don't even engage my VPN at a lot of times because it's just choked to be too slow.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND. I've been with Torguard for a LONG time. I not only have no interest in changing providers for my VPN but I would strongly hate being forced to do so. I love the client, love all the servers, love the simplicity, love the price and ease of use...I honestly love every last thing about your service other than the speed. Unfortunately though, being choked down to less than 10 percent of my max speeds including being the best-priced VPN overwrites the rest while I'm trying to upload files to and from work.

Can you offer me some information on when/if Torguard plans on upgrading network speeds? Even if you have a timetable for it, I would be interested in knowing it. I LOVE Torguard, I just can't keep watching my speeds slowwwwllly ease up or down.

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

Support
On 17/06/2018 at 2:11 AM, Psyberius said:

Hello,

I currently have gigabit internet through Rogers in Canada. I have always had much slower than my available internet problems with Tor(on different ISPs/Different internet packages/tested every server Tor has at various times) but it's starting to become ludicrously slow. I did a couple tests to various servers at various times and it's obvious that you have your service choked to around 70-85mbit down and perhaps 12 up?

When is Torguard going to upgrade its servers to reflect the general increase in speed to home users to 300 megabits and gigabit?  I've been patiently riding the 70-85mbit wave for a couple years now, however, nothing is advancing.

Oh, please don't bother with a "we have no network issues in your area to that server blah blah" deal because I know for sure that it's you choking your servers to a set speed. Other Torguard servers/testing times/testing servers are all tested and I get the same speeds to every server Torguard has. 

When I'm not running Torguard, I get 850-900mbit down and 50 up so I think you can understand that my VPN not changing with the rest of the world has become very obvious and bothersome. Getting ten or less percent of my available bandwidth even with the ultra low price I pay with Tor really isn't a decision as far as continuing my service with Tor unless there's going to be network speed increases soon. A billion Tor servers across the world including Kuala Lumpur is certainly an interesting feature but the core value of a VPN is a> security/blocking yourself b> a> being at a speed that's decent relative to your network speeds.

Tor certainly does an excellent job of providing security and options of servers/ips however unlike a number of the other providers, the speed isn't increasing with the times. It's bad enough that I don't even engage my VPN at a lot of times because it's just choked to be too slow.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND. I've been with Torguard for a LONG time. I not only have no interest in changing providers for my VPN but I would strongly hate being forced to do so. I love the client, love all the servers, love the simplicity, love the price and ease of use...I honestly love every last thing about your service other than the speed. Unfortunately though, being choked down to less than 10 percent of my max speeds including being the best-priced VPN overwrites the rest while I'm trying to upload files to and from work.

Can you offer me some information on when/if Torguard plans on upgrading network speeds? Even if you have a timetable for it, I would be interested in knowing it. I LOVE Torguard, I just can't keep watching my speeds slowwwwllly ease up or down.

Hi Psyberius,

We certainly do not have any b/w limits in place on our servers, on any servers or locations, could I ask what location you normally use and I can do some checks and see if we do indeed need to add more servers? can i ask if you have tried using OpenConnect as the tunneltype - it can be a great deal faster than OpenVPN for some people.

I would love to work with you on this and see what can be done, we do know that Rodgers has throttled this type of traffic for users in the past and still do, they certainly don't like VPN's: rogers-executive-calls-canadian-government-shut-vpn - this does seem to happen more on the Gbit plans they offer.

Regards

Psyberius

Hello, thank you for answering so quickly.

I had avoided Openconnect because it looks...stripped and I wasn't sure how secure it was.

uNc

Irrespective of your ISP speed package, your router can sustain maximun 200Mbps download while deciphering OpenVPN ciphers. Your router is the culprit, not Torguad. Please confirm your router or device CPU hardware, that will tell the story.

balexter
On 23.8.2018 at 7:48 PM, Sam Crow said:

Irrespective of your ISP speed package, your router can sustain maximun 200Mbps download while deciphering OpenVPN ciphers. Your router is the culprit, not Torguad. Please confirm your router or device CPU hardware, that will tell the story.

Well, you are absolutely right when we assume that he uses a router. Did I over read it? Where did he mentioned a router? Assuming he uses an up to date router with a 1.8GHz CPU he will get your mentioned 200Mb down. His mentioned 70-85Mb down is more likely to be a 1.4/1.6 GHz router. 

Assuming he is not using a router but the windows client, 70/85Mb down is way to slow!

balexter
On 17.6.2018 at 3:11 AM, Psyberius said:

Hello,

Just out of curiosity: do you use the standard servers or have you subscribed to the 10Gb premium network?

uNc
9 hours ago, balexter said:

Well, you are absolutely right when we assume that he uses a router. Did I over read it? Where did he mentioned a router? Assuming he uses an up to date router with a 1.8GHz CPU he will get your mentioned 200Mb down. His mentioned 70-85Mb down is more likely to be a 1.4/1.6 GHz router. 

Assuming he is not using a router but the windows client, 70/85Mb down is way to slow!

Well yes, I find the Torguard vpn speeds are good when they are good but they seem to fluctuate from day to day. Yesterday I was getting speeds over 200Mbps on TG Hong Kong server, today barely hitting 20Mbps on the same server. My other vpn service achieves consistent speeds 24/7. So, TG vpn speeds are woefully inconsistent from my experience.

I test on wifi with macbook using a vpn client. The TG app is no different....quick speeds one day, slow the next.

balexter
On 25.8.2018 at 6:36 AM, Sam Crow said:

Well yes, I find the Torguard vpn speeds are good when they are good but they seem to fluctuate from day to day. Yesterday I was getting speeds over 200Mbps on TG Hong Kong server, today barely hitting 20Mbps on the same server. My other vpn service achieves consistent speeds 24/7. So, TG vpn speeds are woefully inconsistent from my experience.

I test on wifi with macbook using a vpn client. The TG app is no different....quick speeds one day, slow the next.

many VPNs have this problem. Apparently TG too. The infrastructure is not ggod/fast enough to serve all custumers. A VPN service is exactly that, a service, a business. So most VPNs have to / do calculate hard to find a good mix between speed tats ok and earning money. almost no vpn has top speeds when there is a spike in users at the same time.
For me, thats a point where TG can improve a lot!