TorGuard
dolfan058

Slow website loading

Rate this question

Question

dolfan058

Lately I've run into an issue with UDP where websites will take a while to load. It appears that the request has been sent, but the computer takes time before it actively receives something. I've experienced wait times of up to 10 seconds after hitting enter on the address before the web page loads, and I'm talking all websites (reddit, espn, etc).

What steps can I take to diagnose and troubleshoot the issue? I've found some temporary relief switching to TCP and STunnel, but my understanding is I'm severely limiting speeds by doing this, so I would like to identify why UDP is giving me problems now (in the past I had no issues). Thank you!

If needed, here is what I'm using on the Torguard Windows client:

1) Server - Miami (closest server to me)

2) Tunnel Type - OpenVPN

3) Protocol - UDP

4) Port / Auth - Auto

5) Cipher - AES-256-GCM

7 answers to this question

Support
3 hours ago, dolfan058 said:

Lately I've run into an issue with UDP where websites will take a while to load. It appears that the request has been sent, but the computer takes time before it actively receives something. I've experienced wait times of up to 10 seconds after hitting enter on the address before the web page loads, and I'm talking all websites (reddit, espn, etc).

What steps can I take to diagnose and troubleshoot the issue? I've found some temporary relief switching to TCP and STunnel, but my understanding is I'm severely limiting speeds by doing this, so I would like to identify why UDP is giving me problems now (in the past I had no issues). Thank you!

If needed, here is what I'm using on the Torguard Windows client:

1) Server - Miami (closest server to me)

2) Tunnel Type - OpenVPN

3) Protocol - UDP

4) Port / Auth - Auto

5) Cipher - AES-256-GCM

Hey there

Welcome to the forums.

Can i ask have you set any custom DNS such as our Ad Block DNS?

Regards

Zep

I just want to add that I'm having the exact same issue as dolfan.  Same specs except that it happens on all servers and Cipher AES-128-GCN. Using default DNS specs.

Zep

Ok, I might have found a solution but want to verify if it's safe.  I disabled (unchecked) Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) on the network adapter and on the TAP-Windows Adapter V9 adapter in the Properties of each adapter. I then unchecked IPv6 Leaks setting on the torguard app. I have no latency connecting to pages anymore.  Question for Admins, does this reduce protection?

Support
6 hours ago, Zep said:

Ok, I might have found a solution but want to verify if it's safe.  I disabled (unchecked) Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) on the network adapter and on the TAP-Windows Adapter V9 adapter in the Properties of each adapter. I then unchecked IPv6 Leaks setting on the torguard app. I have no latency connecting to pages anymore.  Question for Admins, does this reduce protection?

Zep

When you visit this site: test-ipv6.com - does it indicate that you have an IPv6 address?

Regards

dolfan058
21 hours ago, Support said:

Hey there

Welcome to the forums.

Can i ask have you set any custom DNS such as our Ad Block DNS?

Regards

No custom DNS --- however I am interested in this Ad Block DNS. Where can I find more info?

Also, it looks like the latest update resolved the issue. I'm not going to question it and just accept that everything's working great. Thanks for being so responsive!

Zep

No, it says:

hires_info.png

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be 104.129.29.50

hires_info.png

Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) appears to be QuadraNet, Inc

hires_bad.png

No IPv6 address detected [more info]

hires_info.png

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

TGTesting

I am not facing any issues here.