TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  

uTorrent Proxy connect error -4

Rate this question

Question

14 answers to this question

... and now: Proxy connect error: offline (timed out). Using proxy.torguard.tg:1080

kitm9891

Should have replied in here instead of taking over that guys thread lol. Anyways, same thing I said over there, Ive got a support ticket out and if I hear anything Ill pass the info along.

Support

Hi Guys

Is everything now running ok ?

Regards

Right now, as I'm typing this message, uTorrent reports: Proxy connect error: offline (timed out). Tried again, Error -4

I'd like to understand what happens when the proxy doesn't respond in checkMyTorents, but the the other torrents are still downloading - are the torrents exposing my IP, which defies the purpose of a proxy?

This problem keeps showing up and I can't possibly monitor my torrents downloads continuously.

kitm9891

Hey xrouge, I got a reply today from my support ticket and this is what he told me...

"Basically when you set a proxy nothing will download unless the proxy is working - if the proxy fails you need to remove the proxy so that downloads go through your ISP, if you are downloading when proxy is set your fine, its downloading through the proxy."

I took that to mean that as long as the proxy info is input into the downloader, in my case utorrent, then your IP wont be exposed. I'm hopeful that what he meant at least.

Support

Hi Guys

When you setup your proxy in your torrent client then all traffic has to go through the proxy - if the proxy fails for any reason then it just won't download - at all...

So if your torrents are downloading while the proxy settings are all setup then the proxy is working - sometimes the IP check torrent can produce errors server side and clear up later, we are in the process of fixing that due to the amount of requests the server receives.

Another thing xrouge, sometimes the Error -4 can mean an auth issue - make sure you are using your service user/pass and not the billing user/pass.

Regards

Hi Jack,

"Basically when you set a proxy nothing will download unless the proxy is working"

That's what I would expect, but then I look at the other torrents and I see a progress. I'm OK with the proxy not being 100% up all the time (although I'm not sure if they publish the numbers), just that when checkMyTorrents indicates that the proxy is down, not other transfers will take place.

"Another thing xrouge, sometimes the Error -4 can mean an auth issue"

If this is the case, it should always fail because I'm not changing any auth settings.

kitm9891

Well then I hope I have it setup correctly lol. I followed the directions included for utorrent and its all set up for proxy with my info all input and proxy.torguard.tg as the proxy so I assume its all good to go. I assumed the only way to check this was the ip checker that I run everytime side by side any torrent I'm getting. If I'm doing something wrong please let me know.

Support

xrouge when you see this error it doesn't actually indicate the proxy is down - i know its a bit confusing but it indicates a connection issue with the IP check script on one of our servers, it doesn't reflect the online/offline status of the proxy.

Obviously if a proxy is down you will get an error here but the fact your downloading just indicates issues connecting to the remote IP script.

Your correct in regards to the Error -4 - if its downloading then your details are fine.

Regards

Support

Btw you can always try the checkmytorrentip.com script to see what this tells you.

Cheers

> when you see this error it doesn't actually indicate the proxy is down - it indicates a connection issue with the IP check script on one of our servers, it doesn't reflect the online/offline status of the proxy.

And this is exactly the problem - what's the purpose of checkmytorrentip.png if it doesn't reflect the status of the proxy server, but the status of... the server processing the script? I care about the proxy server.

> Btw you can always try the checkmytorrentip.com script to see what this tells you.

It tells me on http: "Proxy connect error: offline (timed out)" and on udp: "Connection timed out".

I had problems getting the setting of proxy.torguard.tg to work so I changed that to one of the servers listed under "My Servers". did the trick for me.

Support

If you have issues using the hostname, it can indicate a DNS issue or firewall issue or possibly the country you are in filter the torguard domains.

Most of the time if you set your DNS to static DNS this solves the problem, either that you can just use the IP direct from the My Servers section as Randy pointed out.

Regards