TorGuard
Allknowingeye

OpenVpn Speed Lagging

Rate this question

Question

Allknowingeye

I have an ASUS RT-AC68U Router. I have experienced lagging speed when using OpenVpn so I did a controlled test.
Streaming from Static IP from AMAZON Prime Video with a 4K Source.

With the VPN Protocol set to OpenVpn the streaming is unable to achieve anything better than about 4-5mbs, and the stream only gets to HD service.

With the VPN Protocol set to L2TP the streaming easily gets to 24mbs which is the limit of my adsl service and the video streams in UltraHD 4k HDR.

This router has a dual core 1ghz processor:
On OpenVpn while stearming Prime Video core 1 averages about 75-80% usage, core 1 averages about 10%.

On L2TP while streaming Prime Video core 1 and core 2 both average 10%.

It seems the OpenVpn process is single threaded and does not benefit from multiple cores.

I tried this in two different data centers and the results were pretty much the same.

So my questions are:

1. Are there some settings I can change in OpenVpn to reduce CPU usage on the router?

2. Is the reason for the slow performance the speed of the router's CPU or is this a data center limitation?

3. If I upgraded to an ASUS RT-AC86U with a dual core 1.8 GHZ processor should  I expect much better performance on Openvpn.

4. The reason I am even thinking of switching from L2TP to OpenVpn is I want to load Merlin so I can control routing of devices to either VPN or Wan with a single router.

So what do we think?

5 answers to this question

Support
6 hours ago, Allknowingeye said:

I have an ASUS RT-AC68U Router. I have experienced lagging speed when using OpenVpn so I did a controlled test.
Streaming from Static IP from AMAZON Prime Video with a 4K Source.

With the VPN Protocol set to OpenVpn the streaming is unable to achieve anything better than about 4-5mbs, and the stream only gets to HD service.

With the VPN Protocol set to L2TP the streaming easily gets to 24mbs which is the limit of my adsl service and the video streams in UltraHD 4k HDR.

This router has a dual core 1ghz processor:
On OpenVpn while stearming Prime Video core 1 averages about 75-80% usage, core 1 averages about 10%.

On L2TP while streaming Prime Video core 1 and core 2 both average 10%.

It seems the OpenVpn process is single threaded and does not benefit from multiple cores.

I tried this in two different data centers and the results were pretty much the same.

So my questions are:

1. Are there some settings I can change in OpenVpn to reduce CPU usage on the router?

2. Is the reason for the slow performance the speed of the router's CPU or is this a data center limitation?

3. If I upgraded to an ASUS RT-AC86U with a dual core 1.8 GHZ processor should  I expect much better performance on Openvpn.

4. The reason I am even thinking of switching from L2TP to OpenVpn is I want to load Merlin so I can control routing of devices to either VPN or Wan with a single router.

So what do we think?

Hey there,

Frist thing, are you running a streaming IP i gather? if so which DC did you get one from?

Regards

Allknowingeye

San Francisco.

Allknowingeye

I did some Speedtest readings as well:

With L2TP VPN on to the San Fran Data Center with Upcloud to Comcast San Franciso the readings were 17.26 down 2.64 up.

With Openvpn VPN on to the San Fran Data Center with Upcloud to Comcast San Francisco the readings were 3.06 up 1.19 down.

With Openvpn VPN on to the Michigan Data Center with MNS to Comcast Detroit the readings were 3.31 down 1.26 up.W

With no vpn at all, the readings were 25.06 down 2.68 up - which is the raw speed of the adsl circuit.

So it does not seem to be a data center issue. Seems to point to a router performance or Openvpn config issue.

Support
On 19/05/2018 at 6:27 PM, Allknowingeye said:

I did some Speedtest readings as well:

With L2TP VPN on to the San Fran Data Center with Upcloud to Comcast San Franciso the readings were 17.26 down 2.64 up.

With Openvpn VPN on to the San Fran Data Center with Upcloud to Comcast San Francisco the readings were 3.06 up 1.19 down.

With Openvpn VPN on to the Michigan Data Center with MNS to Comcast Detroit the readings were 3.31 down 1.26 up.W

With no vpn at all, the readings were 25.06 down 2.68 up - which is the raw speed of the adsl circuit.

So it does not seem to be a data center issue. Seems to point to a router performance or Openvpn config issue.

If using a later build of DD-WRT trying adding below config lines to your openvpn client config and see how this works out for you:

sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288

Regards

Allknowingeye

Actually I am using ASUS Merlin.