TorGuard
59544_1511348127

Could not connect to the VPN management socket

Rate this question

Question

59544_1511348127

I've had no issues with TorGuard until recent. I recently uninstalled an antivirus program, switched on Windows Defender and Firewall, and updated to v 0.3.80. I no longer can connect with TorGuard. I have Windows 10 Defender and Firewall active, and have TorGuard as an allowed app thru the firewall. However, everytime I try to connect, I get this error message:

Could not connect to the VPN management socket.

Please check your firewall settings!

I am using a USA server, OpenVPN, tried both UDP and TCP, and tried every port.

I have uninstalled Torguard, Ccleaned, deleted the program folder, rebooted, reinstalled and nothing. I have tried this in several orders.

If I use OpenConnect, I get this message:

Failed to open HTTPS connection to SERVERNOTFOUND

Any thoughts what I am missing with my Firewall/Defender?

8 answers to this question

59544_1511348127

Update: trying a different Server gives me this new error:

Insufficient key material or header text not found in file 'ta.key' (0/128/256 bytes found/min/max)

After this error, I searched for ta.key, and found a forum post mentioning a change to Cipher: BF-CBC and and HMAC: SHA1, and was able to connect to a server. 

Support
On 04/04/2018 at 6:00 PM, 59544_1511348127 said:

Update: trying a different Server gives me this new error:

After this error, I searched for ta.key, and found a forum post mentioning a change to Cipher: BF-CBC and and HMAC: SHA1, and was able to connect to a server. 

Hello,

We do more checks on connection just now and so this error may last a couple of seconds before going away and connecting, give it a little more time - in regards to the error:

Insufficient key material or header text not found in file 'ta.key' (0/128/256 bytes found/min/max)

Can I ask were you seen this message, was it in the debug log?

Regards

59544_1511348127

Everything is connecting as it used to. Quicker connection, and can use AES-256-GCM, again.

Scooshie

I have the same issue now.

"Torguard could not connect to the VPN management socket. Please check your firewall settings."

I'm using Windows Defender and nothing has changed to cause this error as far as I'm aware.

I've uninstalled TorGuard and the TAP drivers, restarted and reinstalled but I still get the same issue.

It doesn't matter if I try to connect with TCP or UDP. I've also tried to connect using OpenConnect but I then get an error: "Failed to open HTTPS connection to". I have also tried other servers.

I'm assuming that Torguard is getting blocked by windows firewall, so I manually added TorGuardDesktopQt.exe, however, this doesn't resolve the issue.

Support
On 9/23/2018 at 8:12 PM, Scooshie said:

I have the same issue now.

"Torguard could not connect to the VPN management socket. Please check your firewall settings."

I'm using Windows Defender and nothing has changed to cause this error as far as I'm aware.

I've uninstalled TorGuard and the TAP drivers, restarted and reinstalled but I still get the same issue.

It doesn't matter if I try to connect with TCP or UDP. I've also tried to connect using OpenConnect but I then get an error: "Failed to open HTTPS connection to". I have also tried other servers.

I'm assuming that Torguard is getting blocked by windows firewall, so I manually added TorGuardDesktopQt.exe, however, this doesn't resolve the issue.

Hi Scooshie

Did you manage to solve this or are you sitll needing help?

Regards

Scooshie

I spoke to support and I managed to get it resolved. It required a full uninstall. These were the steps I took which were provided by the support team:

Do the following so we can make sure you start fresh.

1) Uninstall all TAP drivers, go to >> Control Panel >> System and Security >> System >> Device Manager - Scroll down to Network Adapters, right click the TAP drivers and uninstall them, deleting the driver too when asked

2) Go to more settings --> general tab --> click "restore defaults" and then hit save

3) Delete the following folder >> C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\VPNetworkLLC renaming "user" to your OS account name.

4) Open Regedit and delete the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VPNetworkLLC

5) Reboot (important) and then re-download and install the latest build v3.88.0 from here <https://torguard.net/downloads.php> https://torguard.net/downloads.php

chrisTechnicus

I get the same error message on Linux Manjaro. Especially the "stealth mode" is one of the main reasons why I chose Torguard over the others.  😑

Deinstalled (via "sudo pacman -Rs torguard") and installed it again (from the AUR via "trizen -Ss torguard") but still not working.

Did I do something wrong? Should I install it from the source you post? Isn't the one maintained by "coco" in the AUR (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/torguard/) directly from you?

Before that I used Linux Mint and it worked without this error.

I'd be very happy for support in removing this error.

VPN-Error-could-not-connect.png

Jakob

Same issue as chrisTechnicus above has. Stealth proxy option does not work on my Manjaro. There is no firewall that I know of. Does anybody know how to resolve the error "Could not connect to the VPN management socket. Please check your firewall settings!"?

EDIT: TorGuard app v3.96.1, connecting without Stealth proxy works, but I would like to use Stealth proxy.