TorGuard
Sign in to follow this  

checkmytorrentip shows -not working-

Rate this question

Question

Running qbittorrent latest version. (Way better then utorrent IMHO). Changed proxy settings, added username/password, torrents are downloading ok.

Downloaded and added checkmytorrentip.png.torrent to my list of torrents.

Under trackers I see the following :

URL: http://torguard.net/torrentip/announce.php

Peers: 0

Any ideas?

15 answers to this question

I'm using uTorrent and frequently get "connection timeout", or "proxy error -4". I force Update Tracker and it succeeds!

It doesn't give me confidence that the proxy is active when it should be, that is, downloading torrents. Maybe it works for one, but not for another.

kitm9891

I've also run into this suddenly, just started tonight and forcing it seems to fix it briefly but when it updates again it goes right back to that same error you mentioned xrouge.

I opened a separate thread for this issue. What concerns me is that while the tracker for checkmytorrentip times out, the regular torrent files seem to download at the same time just fine. Does it go through the proxy then, or not?

kitm9891

I also sent a support ticket asking the same thing, seeing as I dont want my IP exposed if the proxy errors out, but I have no idea how this works in all honesty. If I hear something back I can pass it along as well.

pls post when you get an answer i ran the check my IP from torguard and it has a different IP address than mine, so it seems to be working HOWEVER---i've been using torguard proxy since oct'13 and i just last night [3/7/14] got an email from my ISP about a STARZ network show. not sure how that happened.

Support

Hi Leonard

When using a proxy you need to make sure you have leaky features disabled - what torrent client are you running ?

We always recommend VPN over Proxy.

Regards

thx for the reply! i am using Transmission 2.11, which was the last version that allows for entering and using a proxy server. i try to 'checkmyip' in my torrent client before each use, but don't recall if i did then. today, the client shows a different IP then mine [working!]. i have never had an issue where it didn't say that my torrent client was using a different IP address. I tried other clients and ran into 'open port' errors, Transmission is seamless. since i just paid for an annual proxy account, i don't want to now pay for a VPN annual, which includes the proxy unless you'd be willing to credit that cost towards the annual VPN package.

my annual torrent proxy package says i have access to 'FREE VPN Service Trial', can you tell me how i can try that trial before i make a decision? Thanks again.

Support

Hello Vasair - please submit a ticket to our support desk and they will add a vpn trial to your account :)

They will most likely just switch your proxy over to VPN without any extra charges.

Regards

Hi Leonard

When using a proxy you need to make sure you have leaky features disabled - what torrent client are you running ?

Regards

I am using uTorrent, can you tell me what specific options I need to disable to prevent leaky features?

I was having a similar qbittorrent problem when entering the name for the proxy server. My problem was solved when I entered the numbered address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for a server (use the look-up list).

Support

I am using uTorrent, can you tell me what specific options I need to disable to prevent leaky features?

Did you check everything under Proxy Privacy ? do you use UDP, UPNP, NAT-PMP ?

Its ideal to disable them all and use http trackers.

Regards

Everything under Proxy Privacy is checked.

Regarding UDP, UPNP and NAT-PMP. In the Preferences > Connection > Listenting Port section I have Enable UPNP port mapping unchecked and Enable NAT-PMP port mapping unchecked. In the Preferences > BitTorrent > Basic BitTorrent Features section I have Enable UDP tracker support unchecked. Where those the three settings you where referring to that should be unchecked?

Do I have to enable the http trackers anywhere in uTorrent or does it automatically use those when UDP tracker support is disabled?

Support

Hello - thats correct - your client will now only use HTTP based trackers, if you can get yourself on some private tracker, they are normally always HTTP based.

Regards

Still can't get this working.

Even following suggestions above.

I've finally opened a support ticket. I'll follow-up here if I can get this working.

Support
Still can't get this working.

Even following suggestions above.

I've finally opened a support ticket. I'll follow-up here if I can get this working.

Trevor, the not working is kind of false, whats not working is the connection between the ip check torrent and our server, which is likely to be a DNS problem.

Can you try setting yourself some static DNS to test ?

Regards